found cat requiring vet

Post details of FOUND CATS here (NB: PLEASE put your Location in the Subject line)
nickchadwick
New Cat Chatter

found cat requiring vet

Post by nickchadwick »

Hello, a few months ago a cat appeared at my girlfriend's house. She has been doing her best to look after it but is unable to take the cat into her house due to her having a dog and birds. I am also unable to take the cat in due to similar circumstances. She has put bedding outside and food etc. We had had no look tracing the owner. The cat really looks like it needs a trip to the vet due to obvious skin problems and checking. I know rescue centres prefer not to take the cat. In the short term we can carry on looking after the cat but is there anyway we can get the cat to a vet without incurring the costs? We will do the running around of taking the cat there and carry on feeding him etc until a proper home can be sorted but we are concerned for his health.

I welcome any advice.

Thanks.

Nick
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: found cat requiring vet

Post by Kay »

although I have no direct experience, being buried in rural Wales, I believe you can get free treatment in such circumstances from PDSA and Blue Cross veterinary practices, if you can find one in your area
Pinkglitter1
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Pinkglitter1 »

Hi Nick,

Not sure where in the country you are. In London, there are several RSPCA hospitals that may help. Celia Hammond is also excellent-you could always ring for some advice. Poor cat. Do keep the forum posted as to how you get on :)
SarahK9
New Cat Chatter

Post by SarahK9 »

Hi. You need to take this cat to a vet or animal rescue centre to get it scanned and see if it has a microchip. It may be this cat belongs to someone and has strayed. There is no cost for doing this and then the owner can be contacted and will be able to sort out treatment.
SarahK9
New Cat Chatter

Post by SarahK9 »

Also, it would be helpful if you could say what area of the country you are in. If people have lost a cat and are checking these boards this information would be really useful. And also do you have a description of the cat? What colour is it etc?
Nim
New Cat Chatter

Post by Nim »

It's always worth phoning around vets in these circumstances, too.

Some vet surgeries will take in lost animals, and treat them themselves, then rehome them. If you phone a surgery who doesn't do this, they may well know of one who does. Our regular surgery and out or hours surgery both do this.

Plus, if someone cares for their pet, their vet surgery is quite likely to know that it's lost. Of course, that means phoning the right surgery, so quite a lot of ringing around.