Breaking Out

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cheeky_Blighters
New Cat Chatter

Breaking Out

Post by Cheeky_Blighters »

I have a normal cat flap with a lock on the bottom right, one of those twisty ones so you can select if you're open, locking out, locking in, or locking both ways. I have to barricade it because one of my cats pushes so hard on the cat flap that it pops over the lock so he can get out but then he can't get back in again. I need to keep them in sometimes and prefer to keep them in overnight so I want to find a solution. At the moment he can push a 20 kilo bag of litter out the way so he can get to the door :shock:

I've been looking online but can't find a suitable solution. I used to have one in another place that had a shutter you could slide down over the top of the actual cat flap so they couldn't even get to it to try to break it, but I've not been able to find anything like that on my internet travels.

Grateful for any ideas!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Breaking Out

Post by alanc »

Hi
I had the same kind of problems you had with a normal cat flap. I also found that Badger and Tilly tended to accidentally slide the lock with their back paws when going out, which resulted in them not being able to get in again. Nowadays I use a Sureflap microchip pet door (the larger version of their microchip cat flap). It uses two latches which rise up from the bottom and are immune to cat paws.I've had it for over two years now and it has resisted all attempts by my 5.6kg Maine Coon Tilly to batter it down (and resisted 7.5kg Badger when he was alive as well). When locked it also defeats tubby Tay from next door (and he is pretty determined). I also keep Tilly indoors at night and the pet door has a very useful curfew setting whereby it can be set to prevent exit between set times. It does come quite expensive though, £100 when I bought it, but well worth it.
Alan
Cheeky_Blighters
New Cat Chatter

Post by Cheeky_Blighters »

Thanks Alan, sounds like you've been having fun and games too :roll: Were Badger and Tilly brute forcing on the Sureflap and it still didn't budge? Mister naughty seems to shoulder charge it until it opens, and with his recent gym sessions using the 20 kg bag I've been trying to block him with I almost don't believe anything could keep him in!

I looked up the Sureflap Microchip Catflap but it doesn't seem to have the same locking mechanism as you have but the 'pet flap' I think does, is that the one you mean? Retailing at about £81.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Yes, its the bigger "pet flap" (was called "Pet door" when I got it) not the catflap one. Maine Coons need bigger flaps and are pretty strong! Tilly doesn't shoulder charge it very often (and Badger never did, just gave it a mighty walloping with his big front paws), but Tay from next door certainly does when he is trying to get in!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Just to add a bit more to previous reply (I was taking Tilly to the vet, so didn't have time to elaborate). If the cat flap only has one bolt (which I think yours only has, my old one only had and I think the Sureflap catflap has) then a cat prepared to put a bit of weight into the job can get quite a bit of leverage by hitting the bottom to one side which can more easily burst the lock. The pet door, having two bolts along the bottom makes this much more difficult as they can't easily apply their weight between the bolt and the side. Also, the door is not (or wasn't when I bought mine) a flat bit of plastic that could be warped, but more of a tray shaped affair, which is far less bendable.
Hope this makes sense!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Have you tried blocking the flap on the outside? I found a paving slab worked, though it was a bit of a nuisance having to go out of the front door and round to the back at night and again in the morning

Those flaps with covers were excellent though, and so much less frustrating for the cat, who knew at a glance when the way out was blocked - we should start a petition to bring them back