Wet Food Advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Wet Food Advice

Post by Red wine lady »

Hello All

Oscar is on his special diet due to some bladder debris which the vet found on his ultrascan. The vet recommended (told) we should feed him Royal Canin Urinary, which I bought from the vet (dry and wet). Luckily for me I found it online for a much better price, which I bought in bulk and I’m the proud owner of 3 months supply of food...which is a small fortune! It only comes in chicken.

The problem is, Oscar is so not keen on the wet...well he eats it but it takes him forever and gives me that look of ‘do you really hate me’ the dry he munchies on but he will not tolerate dry full time.

I was thinking of giving him the RC in the morning (I put a Cystophan tablet in there which I think adds flavour) and buying another wet food for the evening... something of a high quality like Cosma or Greenwood’s, any good?

Or can I buy felix salmon and add it to RC.

Advice wood be appreciated xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Wet Food Advice

Post by booktigger »

I buy Katto vit renal food and notice they do a urinary trial pack so that must come in different flavours. I'm surprised the urinary only comes in one flavour, RC renal comes in 3
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Something like Felix AGAIL Senior could be a safer option than Cosmo
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Can I mix felix with the RC?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

You might also want to have a look at Hills Prescription diet cat food. The C/D one they do is for urinary problems and comes in both wet and dry varieties, including a salmon flavour ones (seeing as you mentions Felix salmon, I am assuming he likes salmon).

I haven't tried this one but we were recommended one of the Hills Prescription foods for Saturn when he seemed to have a very sensitive stomach. Unfortunately it also only came in one flavour and he got bored of it.

Your best option might be to have a range of different makes and flavours in and rotate through them.

You could try mixing the RC with the Felix, but knowing cats he will just pick out the Felix if that is what he likes.

While I don't know what 'bladder debris' was found, there have been alleged reports of dry food being linked to crystals forming in the bladder, so I personally feel that the more wet food you can get him to eat rather than the dry the better he might be.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Thanks Ruth, I’ve looked at Hills...I suppose it’s just the fact I have £70 worth of RC in my cupboard and I don’t want to waste. My vet wanted him on entirely RC dry food...but I challenged this.

I will buy Felix tomorrow and attempt to mix.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I wouldn't want £70 of cat food to go to waste either but the little darlings can be very determined when they decided they don't like something. Check the best before date on the RC normally tinned or pouched cat food has a long shelf life. When you know how long it is good for you can decide if it is worth trying to add a few Hills pouches into the mix to help ring the changes. A couple of days off the RC and he might be willing to wolf it down again.

I bought a tray of 24 tins of the sensitive food for Saturn, the first few tins were wolfed down, then he slowly went off it, and having two other cats he could always find something different unless we fed them all the same thing. We got through most but in the end gave the last half dozen tins to the local charity rather than seeing them just be put down, ignored and then binned.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Ruth B wrote:I wouldn't want £70 of cat food to go to waste either but the little darlings can be very determined when they decided they don't like something. Check the best before date on the RC normally tinned or pouched cat food has a long shelf life. When you know how long it is good for you can decide if it is worth trying to add a few Hills pouches into the mix to help ring the changes. A couple of days off the RC and he might be willing to wolf it down again.

I bought a tray of 24 tins of the sensitive food for Saturn, the first few tins were wolfed down, then he slowly went off it, and having two other cats he could always find something different unless we fed them all the same thing. We got through most but in the end gave the last half dozen tins to the local charity rather than seeing them just be put down, ignored and then binned.
I've taken your advice and I will order some Hills food, can I just ask though...which one?

c/d Urinary Stress or s/d Urinary Care ? I personally wanted to buy the C/D Stress as it contains l-tryptophan, however I give Oscar Cystophan which also contains it...not sure if it will all be too much. Thank you
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I'm certainly no expert or vet, but having had a look at the ingredients in the RC Urinary foods they seem to contain the tryptophan as well. The SD seems to be more of a short term food and the CD the long term option, so I think I would go with the CD. Hopefully you can get just a few tins of Hills for a reasonable price and see how it goes just using it as an occasional change, with maybe a pouch of Felix thrown in for good measure.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Plan B...went to Pets at Home and found Purina Gourmet crystal which is a light broth which increases cats fluid intake. I added 20g to his RC meal, let it soak in and his wolfed it down. Job sorted.

I’ve also ordered the Hills Salmon for plan c!

Cheers
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

hmmm - job sorted, you say - hope you were holding on to something wooden when you wrote that :D :D

but the soups and broths are a good idea, and could even be added to dry food if necessary
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Kay wrote:hmmm - job sorted, you say - hope you were holding on to something wooden when you wrote that :D :D

but the soups and broths are a good idea, and could even be added to dry food if necessary
Damn you :D Yesterday it was job sorted, as for today...well it’s just another day in the life of a cat owner with a very fussy bloody cat! I’m on plan D as I type x
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Every cat owner know you don't just need Plans A, B and C when dealing with a cat, you need at least down to Plan Z and and it's probably worth having Alpha, Beta and Gamma worked out as well.