My cat is now crazy about going outside

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
catlover1000
New Cat Chatter

My cat is now crazy about going outside

Post by catlover1000 »

Hello,

I have 4 indoor cats. They've been indoors all their life and so far they have been fine with that.

This summer I decided to take them out to the back yard and one of them, who is 9 years old (male, fixed), is now literally crazy about going outside. He mews/cries all the time and in a crazy way, sitting by the door and sometimes even trying to desperately scratch it. No matter how many times he is taken out he wants more and more. It is getting worse and worse. First he cried only by the door and only when someone was there, but downstairs, but now he might even wake me up crying to take him out, even though he has never woken me up before.

When some other cat is taken out he might sit on the window sill, look at him and cry being jealous.

The problem is also that when he is outside he keeps eating grass and then he pukes a lot outside and inside.

He has many toys including a cat tree.

What could I do to reduce his crazyness about going outside and also eating that much grass?

Thank you
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My cat is now crazy about going outside

Post by fjm »

Could it be the need for grass that is making him so desperate to go out? It is a natural cure for stomach discomfort - the puking is a necessary part of that, I am afraid! A pot of cat grass by the door, or some uprooted couch grass in a pot, may help. Or a catflap into a run that would give him, and the other cats, safe access to the garden, perhaps?
catlover1000
New Cat Chatter

Post by catlover1000 »

Now, I can say for sure that it's the grass, what makes him behave like that. So, I guess, I should grow cat grass, however this wouldn't solve the problem with puking. I mean, after he recovers from puking which takes about 20 minutes, he wants it again and then everything repeats so he would puke a lot of times and I'm not sure if it's healthy. Besides that, since not always someone is home, we couldn't be there all the time when he pukes, so he might puke and we might not see it if he does it e.g. under a bed...
What do you think of this and how could all that be solved to any extent?

Thank you
catlover1000
New Cat Chatter

Post by catlover1000 »

Also, he pukes right after eating grass... The puking is actually what stops him keeping eating it for a little while.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

As has been mentioned cats like to eat grass to make themselves puke, normally as a way of clearing anything out of their stomach that is causing problems. If he is doing it constantly then it might be a sign of an underlying problem.

The first course of action in my mind is a trip to the vets to see if they can find any reason for his wanting to make himself throw up.

If they can't come up with anything you might want to look at what he is eating and see if changing to a hypo allergenic food would help.

I am assuming that his de-worming and de-fleaing is up to date.

Did he throw up before, even if not as often? If he did it could be that he has had stomach problems for some time and now found something that eases it, and is going rather overboard with it, in which case getting him some cat grass but limiting his access to it might help.

Hopefully you can get it sorted out soon and he can enjoy his time outside with out the desire to constantly eat grass to make himself puke.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. It could be a hairball that he’s trying to get rid off, cats will eat grass if that’s the case and this time of year I’ve seen my own cat eating grass, and the ferals are eating more and bringing up furballs. I would also get a vet a trip and if he’s wanting to go out and it’s safe to do so I’d let him, personally I’d never keep a cat in that’s wanting to go out, if you live near a road then building a safe run would be best.