litter box training

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Super Petlover
Returning Cat Chatter

litter box training

Post by Super Petlover »

Any advice on how to train a kitty to poop in a litterbox..

it's just so hard.. even harder than potty training a baby..

Thanks in advance!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: litter box training

Post by Lilith »

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble; cats usually use their trays instinctively - but there's always an exception!

Must ask - where is the litter tray - is it in a private place and does the cat have constant access to it? Is it open or hooded? Will the cat wee in it or is it refusing to use it at all? What sort of litter are you providing? Is the cat making a mess next to the tray or going elsewhere in the house?

Also how old and what sex is the cat and is it neutered yet?

Sorry about the Spanish Inquisition but the more info, the easier to pinpoint any problems :)
Super Petlover
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Super Petlover »

Lilith wrote:Hi there, sorry to hear you're having trouble; cats usually use their trays instinctively - but there's always an exception!

Must ask - where is the litter tray - is it in a private place and does the cat have constant access to it? Is it open or hooded? Will the cat wee in it or is it refusing to use it at all? What sort of litter are you providing? Is the cat making a mess next to the tray or going elsewhere in the house?

Also how old and what sex is the cat and is it neutered yet?

Sorry about the Spanish Inquisition but the more info, the easier to pinpoint any problems :)
Thank you for your attention..

The box is located in a corner of our living room. It's open. I don't think she knows it's where she's supposed to do her thing. She's ignoring it totally and she poops anywhere, whenever she wants.

I appreciate you help. Thank you.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

How long have you had her? Is she a kitten or adult? If it's a new home she may be confused and shy, especially if there's a lot of activity in the living room.

Personally I prefer the hooded trays as the cats seem to appreciate being screened off, but many cats don't give a damn. Do you know what sort of litter she was using before? Some cats do refuse to change types of litter and this could be another cause of the problem.

I've had trouble with cats/kittens myself over the years and I've found that the best remedy is vigilance - if you think the cat is going to make a mess, watch her, and confine her to the room with the tray. Talk encouragingly to her (my youngest cat actually knows 'USE your tray' as she was a bit of a mixed up kid when she arrived.) A calm 'no' if there's any attempt to mess outside the tray, lots of praise for success, which I'm sure you'll give her when she gets the idea :)

Sorry about asking more questions - it's a case of getting the full picture. I'm sure that there's a solution and other people on here may have ideas too.

With any luck you and she will get there - do keep in touch :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I've never had this problem myself, but I have read that others have had success by confining the cat with litter tray in a small room, such as the bathroom, overnight, or using a large dog crate
Super Petlover
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Super Petlover »

Hi.. a friend told me, I have to literally put my cat's poop into the box so she would go back there whenever she has to make poopy.

Gonna try that one too..

Your advices are great. gonna try 'em all.. Thank you!