Cats kidneys not working properly and ataxia.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cats kidneys not working properly and ataxia.

Post by Kris35 »

Hi all,

My 17 year old girl cat was fit and healthy - or seemed to be - until a few days ago when she stopped eating and pus was coming out of her mouth. I took her to the vets and she had two teeth removed within the hour. To save money I didnt have her bloods done - my bad. She came home after a nights stay at the vets and ate some food and was drinking water. Her back end was very wobbly and I didn't think the ataxic gait was normal even after anaethetics. I took her back to the vets today and my vet said her back legs were not what to expect after an operation. She had bloods done and has kidney failure - I know cats can live with a kidney that isnt functioning properly, but I wanted to know if anyone else has had a cat that had ataxia after an operation. Also she was given Metacam and an anti biotic which I think might have caused this - if her kidneys aren't working properly she isnt getting rid of the toxins.

She is staying in overnight to be rehydrated. She hasnt been for a wee yet which is the main concern. Now the vet is ringing me later before she goes off duty and I am so worried about my cat (Tez). Has anyone else been in this situation before?

Thanks,

Kris
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cats kidneys not working properly and ataxia.

Post by Kay »

I think you're going to have to wait until you get your girl home again before you can judge her current state of health - those rotten teeth, for instance, must have been poisoning her system

meanwhile, wonky kidneys are extremely common in older cats, and you'll find tons of advice on the net as to diet and medication - hopefully she'll be with you for a while yet
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm sorry your girl's not well, you must feel dreadful about the decision not to do bloods, and as I'm sure you know they would have flagged up any issues, but what's done is done - you can't go back.

I've no experience of ataxia in cats, what does your vet think the cause might be? I have had several cats with kidney function issues as chronic kidney issues are very common in older cats (which most of mine are), but this sounds more like an acute failure - the main thing is that as they try to rehydrate her the drip should flush any toxins through her system. I really hope she improves overnight.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Hi and thanks for your replies. Just had a call from the vet and Tez is a little perkier.....she is still ataxic (they dont know what has caused this), but she did a long wee which is the main thing. She also seeems a bit perkier but isnt out of the woods yet. She is staying in overnight again. My vet said she had to have her teeth removed so if I wanted to save money the bloods werent all that necessary, but I think the drugs she has been given would not have been given as Metacam is not good for cats with kidney failure so I do feel awful. I have another old girl and have spent in excess of 5 k the paast year and was made homeless and am just getting back on my feet. Urgh.....if I could do this again, the bloods are important!!

My one dread is that she will pass over when Im not there and I was and am half tempted to have her pts but I have to give her this chance. My head is all over the place. Thanks guys.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by AndyMac »

Hi Kris - sorry to hear about the puss. I am in a similar situation with my cat. She had 4 teeth removed last September, 3 were her fang teeth and she has coped quite well. Jet is currently with the vet - she went for a check up on Wednesday which I thought were fur balls but the Vet thought her kidney was enlarged and she was dehydrated, took blood and urine and give her a few injections. I got the bill which came to £109 of which £71 was for the blood test.

Jet was brought back in yesterday and has had an overnight stay with a drip attached to her - I phoned earlier and hoping she will get home tonight but I have to phone later this afternoon. I have no idea how much this is going to cost as I do not have insurance. I hope they have some sort of payment plan as I would expect its going to cost quite a bit for her care and injections.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Hi AndyMac,

Does Jet have kidney failure too? When I say "failure" I really mean "not working at full capacity". Tez is staying in tonight and I am terrified she will die without me there. I spent £350 on her teeth and overnight stay on Tuesday this week and now this. I will get the money somehow - I just want her to be allright. The vet says its a balancing act of not giving too much fluid as that can affect her respitory system (I think). Urgh, I am worried sick so know how you are feeling - the costs add to the stress too.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Not sure yet Kris what she has - the initial diagnosis is Triaditis which is an inflammation of her liver and pancreas. When she was examined on Wednesday the vet did remark her left kidney was enlarged but the blood and urine test came back negative and Jet was allowed home and she ate and drank as normal.

On Thursday morning that's when she basically collapsed. I put her on my bed and she just lay there, heavy sharp breathing and her back end was sweating - I thought she was dying on me. I got her to the vet as soon as they opened and she has been there since. She has perked up a lot and have to phone the vet later to see if she can come home. Like you I have this fear of losing her when I wont be with her. She will be 12 in a few weeks and always hoped we would have a few more years together.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Please let me know how she is and if she can come home. My girl will be 18 in June but she is young for her age - well up until this anyway. Always racing around and getting into mischief. 12 isn't that old nowadays so I hope she will be ok. I have stress tummy at the moment.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Jet is getting home later today - rang and she was getting examined by the vet who confirmed I can collect her later today but she wants to have a word with me - I assume it may have to do with a new diet or medication - just worried about the bill but will be relieved to have her back with me.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thats good news. What I would give to ber in that situation. Looks like I might have to have Tez pts tomorrow.....so hard isnt it. Went to see her today and she looks perky in the eyes and she tried to stand - bloods are still the same but vet said that would be the case until tomorrow when we have them done again. Then depending on those results I might need to make the decision.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

My cats temp has dropped to 33 - vet says she needs to be pts - Im going sdown there in half an hour - dont understand these things - am I doing the right thing>>>?????
TJH72
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by TJH72 »

Sorry to hear your news. It's the worst decision you have to make but if she's suffering/in pain and nothing can be done then it's the right decision.

I have a 19 yr old CKD cat and I am dreading that day but I know when the time comes it will be for the best even though I will be an emotional wreck.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

She is gone - and it was surprisingly easy to do. I didn't want her like that and couldn't wait for it to be done when I got there. I have brought her home with me as I like to know for sure my animals are gone before they are put in the freezer. My little darling I love you so much. Big kisses from mummy - love you to eternity.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear this, going easily means you got the timing right. RIP little one
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks BT. Bit numb at the moment.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry, but you've done the right thing. That's a good age, and to be honest something was going to get her sooner rather than later in the next year or so - all mine have lived to somewhere between 17 and 19. (((hugs)))
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks Crewella. I have my ex stray FIV boy to care for and my other 18 year old girl. I learnt some hard lessons from Tezzy's illness. I wish she had never been on the IV drip but if not then I would never have known. Love her and miss her but got to be strong.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Sorry to hear the bad news Kris - you must be gutted but it was the right decision rather than have her suffer. It will be a tough few days for you but hoping the pain will ease with each day - its a decision many cat owners will have to make at some point in our cats well-being.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks AndyMac.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I am so sorry for your loss Kris. She probably had bad kidneys (very unusual to have good ones at her age!) and the anaesthetic and metacam was just too much for her system. she was still a lucky cat to have you as her caring owner though....... You did your best for her, and we all die in the end. I am sorry if that sounds horrible...... But it is true. And she died surroinded in love.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Thanks Cussypat,

I agree with you. It was easy to have her pts. Still dont know why she started walking with her back legs splayed - very weird to watch - my vet had never seen anything like it before. But it was a peaceful end for her. The cathetar was already in - she just faded away - it was so lovely if you see what I mean. I'm happy she had me to the end. Love you Tezzy. xxxxx
TedCatsMom
New Cat Chatter

Post by TedCatsMom »

Kris35-

I am very sorry about the loss of your kitty in April. I wanted to chime in because my 13 year old boy Ted is fighting kidney failure and was put on Metacam the last time he went into the Vet last week. Ever since, he has had the ataxic gait and has moved less and less and been lethargic. I have been looking up info on Metacam all day and yours is the 2nd post I found so far on this site with that issue and all were on Metacam. I wanted you to know and let others know, too.

Best,
TedCatsMom
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Hi TCM,

I'm glad the search term for Metacam and ataxia (wobbly legs if anyone is searching that) comes up - I was absolutely baffled by my cats wobby ataxic legs. Has your vet mentioned any connection between the Metacam and the wobbly legs?

Does anyone here know anything about it? I still remember my Tezzy at the vets not being able to walk. Her temperature was really low so I was advised to have her pts.

Let us know how he gets on - it's such a worry isn't it.