Another CKD question

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
TJH72
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Another CKD question

Post by TJH72 »

As mentioned on the other thread my 19 y/o cat has CKD. The most recent blood tests show there has been hardly any deterioration since initial diagnosis, which is good. Unfortunately for the last few weeks I noticed she was only eating a few mouthfuls of food and then walking away and pawing at her mouth. Having had 2 cats with dental problems I knew what was coming.

I took her to the vet who said a common thing with CKD cats is that the immune system starts attacking the teeth, thinking they are foreign bodies, so the gums get inflamed and infected. The only way to stop it is to have the teeth removed. Given my cat's age and having CKD the vet would not consider an operation, not that I'd really want to put her through one either. Because of the CKD Metacam is not an option. The only thing he could do was give her an antibiotic shot to try and reduce infection/inflammation, but I had to request it, he didn't suggest it. I'm not sure it really made that much difference though.

Someone then advised on my other thread about my CV cat with gum probs that Butchers Classic food was good for cats with sore mouths. And so I took the decision to give that to my CKD cat, and she manages to eat it, albeit in 2 or 3 sittings. At the moment she seems her normal self apart from the pawing after eating. She's not drooling, she doesn't seem in pain (although I know cats are good at hiding it). (I had tried liquidising the renal food but she wouldn't touch it).

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in this position. I feel quite terrible that I might be accelerating the kidney disease, but then she's a ripe old age and I could be doing nothing more than knocking a couple of months off her life, but if she won't eat the renal food it's better than not eating. It might even be that the gum problem will get worse before the kidneys, at which point I know THAT decision will have to be made. I've been feeding her this Butchers Classic a couple of weeks (and still trying the renal stuff occasionally) and have not seen any adverse effects. I'm just after other people's experiences if they've had to go down this route.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Another CKD question

Post by Crewella »

If her mouth is still inflamed, and she's still sore, then it might be time to have another chat with your vet about anti-inflammatories and pain relief. I understand the issue with the Metacam ........ but if she's not comfortable then you might need to weigh her quality of life against the quantity and rethink that. It's a hard one, but a discussion worth having.
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Another CKD question

Post by Kris35 »

Hi TJ,

All I know is, my Tezzy (almost 18) had to go in for a dental as there was pus coming from her mouth and she had stopped eating. To save money I didnt have bloods done. She came home after the op and was ataxic and not eating. Went back and she had bloods done and came back kidney failure. She was put on a drip for two days (IV) but I think the drugs (Metacam plus an anti-biotic and maybe even the anaesthetic) gave her some kind of neurological problem. She seemed herself but couldnt stand and her back legs were splaying outwards. I had her pts and deeply regret I didnt have her bloods done before the dental - but even then - am not sure what could be done for her. I've read on here a lot of cats go on an IV drip before any op (elderley cats).