Vibes for Lucy please

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Vibes for Lucy please

Post by Antonio »

Poor Lucy, another operation, more stress and limitations, I'm so sorry to read this.
Anyway, 5.3 kg is a very good and healthy weight, I think. It was the same weight Pallina had last year in April-May, then the hyper-T arrived and now she's 2.9 kg... :(

Kisses to Lucy!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

She's 5.13, but unfortunately needs to be under 5kg with only having one hip. I'm trying to get her back on 2 pouches and one meal of dry, we've managed to trick her into taking her Seraquin again, and she is still happily eating renal food, bought her a new brand from Zooplus, it went down quicker than RC and £5.99 for 12 rather than £8.99!!
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

Would like to add my good wishes, booktigger ... hadn't seen this thread before so have some catching up to do. All the best for you and little Lucy.

Jan xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Thanks Jan - she doesn't often get called little! :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Lucy has been sick the last two weeks after having her calcium meds, she has been given ranitidine to try and stop her being sick, but I've not been very good on remembering to do it before feeding her, and am on hol, my neighbour didn't relish the thought of medicating her once, so thought asking to syringe her twice a day as well was a bit much. Fingers crossed she keeps it down tomorrow, as she was a bit loose yesterday, and in hindsight, that was the first symptom, weeks before the rest. Not sure how this will affect her op
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi sending Lucy +Ve thoughts & fusses that she takes her meds & is soon feeling better. Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Good luck, Lucy x
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Fingers and tails crossed for Lucy and lots of fusses to her, may she feel better soon!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Well, apparently she wasn't sick yesterday
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Any good news from Lucy? I do hope so ;)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Could do with some opinions please, not 100% sure I've made the right decision. I'm rather reluctant to put her through another operation, partly because she has already had 3 sedations since her CKD diagnosis, and partly due to the fact that it took nearly 4 months for her to be 'normal' enough after the first one for me to think that I'd done the right thing. I know part of that was the set back we had with the hypercalcaemia. She seems happy in herself, the only thing she can't do that she could pre-op is jump on my kitchen worktops, which I'm quite enjoying, I don't have to hide food like I used to!! :lol: She obviously does have a limp, but that is always going to be the case as we've effectively shortened her leg, although it seems a lot less than it was. The vet thinks her funny stand is that the hip bothers her, and it does crunch on manipulation, so they do still feel she would benefit from surgery, but equally appreciate that she isn't an easy patient, so at the moment we are just going to keep with the acupuncture and monitor it, and if she shows signs of getting worse, we can re-evaluate. She does sometimes seem uncomfortable though and my main concern with waiting is that if her kidney values have then got worse and she can't tolerate either the anaesthetic, or the metacam after. Any thoughts?
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Booktigger, I'm speaking for myself here, so it's not what you should do, but what I'd do.
I've always been for intervention, no matter what, because things could go worse later and then it could be too late for anything and I could regret it for the rest of my life!
So if the operation could give Lucy a better life or a relief from any suffering or difficulty I would go for it.
My poor and sweet Lola had CKD but nevertheless she went through dozens of anesthesias without trouble. Of course not all cats have the same reactions to the same drug or medication, so the thing must be evaluated. I put Lola in danger many times because I had no choice.

In these past few days I'm feeling guilty for not being good enough to hold her with me, I feel like I did something wrong or didn't do what was best for her. But I don't regret anything I did for her. Probably I should just have done more... :(
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

I can't offer any advice on what is best - only that I totally understand your feelings, as I'm going through the same. All I can do is tell you how much my thoughts are with you and Lucy whatever decision you come to.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Just want to say good luck Booktigger and Lucy x
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I do not know what is best, but like Antonio, I think I would opt for the operation in the hope it would improve Lucy's life.
Best of luck, whatever you decide.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

alanc wrote:I do not know what is best, but like Antonio, I think I would opt for the operation in the hope it would improve Lucy's life.
Best of luck, whatever you decide.
Thats what concerns me Alan - in the hope it would improve things, when she is finally happy, is it fair to put her through more months of pain and unhappiness?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Booktigger - you know Lucy best, so probably best to follow you gut instinct in this. I fear that whatever you do, at some stage you will be left wondering what would have happened if you had made the opposite decision.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Alan has expressed my thought perfectly, I couldn't have said it better!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

alanc wrote:Booktigger - you know Lucy best, so probably best to follow you gut instinct in this. I fear that whatever you do, at some stage you will be left wondering what would have happened if you had made the opposite decision.
Yes, that is my fear, and what is making it so hard!!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Booktigger it's so difficult at these times. Can u be guided by your vet - do you absolutely trust them. Fusses to dear Lucy - such a brave little puss. Keep us posted. Vivian
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Can't really add anymore to the sound advice and opinions that have already been given. But I just wanted to let you know I'm still sending out the vibes and all best wishes.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Well, the vets want to operate, because they still think it's causing her pain. Watching her run round playing though, I'm reluctant to put her through more months of recovery , especially when she has arthritis in her other hip, so I'm not sure we can make her pain free. The vet who convinced me to do the initial op said she wouldn't need acupuncture after it, the CT vet disagreed due to her other hip
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Do you think that acupuncture could give her relief for good? If yes, then skip the operation.
If no, I'd do the op.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Well, as long as we keep doing it - we are still on monthly, but I have to say, we could probably go a bit longer between now, pre op it was a lot more obvious when it had been a month since the last treatment. The vet did say that we may get longer periods of relief, and she has some clients that only need to go a couple of times a year. We do also have the option of cartrophen (glucosamine) injections if we feel she isn't getting the benefit of the acupuncture.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Can't remember if I told you before, my Lola had arthritis too and she had relief from a supplement that I found in a shop, it contanined glucosamine as well and she had a relief in about 2 weeks
http://www.innovet.it/prodotti/algologia/alevica/
it has an English translation.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

She does have a glucosamine supplement, she's just fussy about taking it!
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

The product of my link has different ingredients and works on the perception of the pain.
Try and ask your vet.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I can't find the English translation to see how it compares, her food also contains glucosamine.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

booktigger wrote:I can't find the English translation to see how it compares, her food also contains glucosamine.
Are you reading the forum via a tablet or smartphone?
On my pc that link opens a page in English, on my phone and tablet opens it in Italian and there isn't the British flag that indicates the translation...
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

I try to copy and paste the content of the English page of that link

Alevica®
Supports the proper nociceptive function
Alevica® helps to maintain the correct nociceptive function. To be used under the control of the vet.
Alevica® is not a veterinary drug. It’s a complementary feed for dogs and cats.

USE
To be administered for at least 20 days at the dosage shown in the table. The chewable tablet may be given directly into the mouth or crumbled and mixed in the food, making sure your pet gets it.
Body weight (kg) Tabs / day
1-6 ...................... ¼
7-14 .................... ½

PROPERTIES
PEA (Palmitoylethanolamide) is a naturally occurring substance found in many animal and vegetable food sources (e.g., soybean). In the animal body, PEA serves as an endogenous biomodulator physiologically responsible for regulating nociception. Alevica® restores the endogenous reserves of PEA, in order to optimize the natural protective mechanisms.
The co-ultramicronization with quercetin (i.e., a bioflavonoid with strong antioxidant activity) improves the bioavailability of PEA and provides a natural protection against oxidative stress.
Functional principle ... Quantity ... Function
PEA .............. 300 mg/tab ..... Regulates nociception
Quercetin ............ 60 mg/tab ........... Controls the oxidative stress

COMPOSITION Palmitoylethanolamide (30%), quercetin (6%), sodium pyrophosphate, yeasts, lupine meal, sodium chloride, sunflower oil, glyceryl dibehenate, polyvinylpyrrolidone (povidone), magnesium stearate. ADDITIVES (mg/kg) Antioxidants: 1b306(i) (0.68). Technological additives: E460 (434000); E466 (60000); E433 (3000); E551b (3000). ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS Crude protein (2%); crude fibre (50%); crude oils and fats (32%); crude ash (8%); moisture (≤6%); sodium (1.5%); potassium (<0.5%); magnesium (0.025%); phosphorus (1.19%).

Hope it helps!