Old cat not eating, just old age?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
risotto
Frequent Cat Chatter

Old cat not eating, just old age?

Post by risotto »

Toby used to be 6.75kg. He's slowly lost weight so I got his thyroid levels checked which came back towards the top of normal. Vet checked his levels again two weeks ago which are still within the normal range and with no other obvious thyroid symptons is reluctant to treat him for his. He also had a full bloods taken for various things two weeks ago, everything totally within normal range. On both occasions vet felt him over, took temperature, listened to chest, checked general movement and examined mouth (no redness or decayed teeth). Three months ago he was 5.1kg, two weeks ago 4.85kg.

Since then I've become he's eating less so more likely to loose weight. Appears interested, has a little bit, then seems to be asking for more/something different. He's eating about 10-20% of a can each day, maybe one whiskers pouch and a treat. Bought him some dry cat food which he went crazy over for two days and not touched since. He's still going outside 2-3 times a day, playful, full of himself, wanting to be with us.

Could this just be old age, or something more sinister?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Old cat not eating, just old age?

Post by bobbys girl »

Sorry to hear that. How old is Toby? I take it the vet has checked his kidney function?. It does sound very much like our old lad Tommy when he started out on the sad CKD journey.

He was not much interested in the 'special' diet food for CKD but we kept him going for quite a while on James Wellbeloved dry food and a mix of Felix AGAIL and fresh meat. Tommy LOVED his meat - chicken, beef, duck (he once pinched our duck dinner!) and tinned sardines.

Is he drinking more? That's a sign of kidney disease.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

If his thyroid levels are in the top end of normal, I'd ask for a Free T4 test, sometimes they can be hyper-t in the normal range and they need a different test to diagnose. Good luck
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

You could also try feeding him kitten food - it has more energy per gram than ordinary catfood. It is what I was recommended to do when my old Honey started to loose weight. Has your vet checked for lymphomatic cancer? This can cause lack of appetite and loss of weight. It is what Honey was diagnosed as having (in addition to being hyperthyroid). If he does have this, then I am afraid the outlook is not good.
risotto
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by risotto »

Thanks for your replies everyone. I was thinking about getting some different food anyway, so will try that for a day or two. Maybe one or two different treats in the hope I can stimulate his appetite.

The vet did check the kidney function which apparently is okay. He's 17 years old, so I know he's a good age. Thanks for the pointers re: T4 test and lymphomatic cancer - how was this diagnosed by the way?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

lymphomatic cancer - how was this diagnosed by the way?
With difficulty - our vet was going through all the possible causes of Honey loosing weight and not eating well. She had a scan, on which the cancerous growths about her gut were barely visible. 5 months before she had been diagnosed with hyperthyroid and for 3-4months she had responded to the treatment then started to go downhill. This was 6.5 years ago, so diagnostic methods may have improved since then.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

It could be just his age if all the bloods are ok. We’ve adopted lots of oldies and most of them have got a bit thinner as they’ve aged. As you say 17 years is a good age and hopefully it’s just that. Another thing when they age is their sense of smell isn’t as good and their tastes can change and they can get a bit fussy, so stronger smelling foods may help. Some oily fish once or twice a week and some cat milk, if he’s ok with that, and likes it, is helpful for weight too. Gourmet pates are a favourite with oldies usually so you could try those.
risotto
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by risotto »

Janey, thanks for your reply. I've now bought a few different foods. He's trying them but only eating a bit, like his other food. He's always enjoyed every last lap of milk, now he'll drink some and leave the rest. Webbox sticks and yogurt drinks and Dreamies go down well, but nutritionally and cost wise he can't live on them. I've cooked a chicken fillet so will see how that goes down later, would normally expect every last morsel to go.

alanc - thanks for your reply. I'll see how he is over the weekend, but think I'll have to take him back to the vet, so I can see what they say and bring up your suggestion.