Clinging Behavior

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
ros
New Cat Chatter

Clinging Behavior

Post by ros »

Hello,
I have a 2 year old female cat named Cleo who has started to cling to me. She sits on my shoulder every chance she gets. So I am walking around the house with her on my shoulders. When I go to bed she sleeps on my chest or back. When I try to get up or move she holds onto me for dear life. I have to reasure her everything is ok.This behavior just started 2 months ago. Cleo was rescued by my daughter of the streets of Chicago when she was about 4 months old. She has been living with me for a year.

I have 3 other cats, a 13 yr old female, 4 yr old female, and 4 year old male (they are all fixed). They never have acted the way she does. I also have a 13 year old dog, he doesn't bother the cats and they stay away from him. The cats get along pretty well, they have there own space where they like to hangout at.

Can someone tell me what's going on with her and what to do to help her? Thank you
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Clinging Behavior

Post by Ruth B »

My first question is, was there any change in circumstances just before the behaviour started that might have lead to it? However irrelevant a change might seem to the cats, they are sensitive creatures and she might have picked up on something that caused you or the the other animals some stress.

You say all the animals get on alright, even though there is obviously no open warfare, I would suggest that you watch their behaviour closely for a while, cats particularly are very good at psychological warfare, blocking access to litter trays, water or food being common forms, all they have to do is look like they are asleep somewhere but another cat has to go past them to get where they want to go.

Finally comes the hardest part of the advise. When you are doing something and you don't want her clinging to you, put her down and tell her 'NO' firmly. It not a punishment, she has to learn not to be so dependant on you for comfort. At the same time you also have to stop reassuring her all the time, every time you reassure her that everything is alright, you are actually telling her there was something to be concerned about in the first place. Try and act as normal around her as possible, if you have nothing to worry about then she will learn there is nothing to worry about.

I am not saying don't make a fuss of her or let her have knee time but you have to decide when she can have that fuss and attention not her. Make sure you do spend quality time with her (and all the rest) playing with her and giving her the attention she wants, but on your terms not hers.
ros
New Cat Chatter

Re: Clinging Behavior

Post by ros »

Thank you Ruth B for your response. There are no changes in circumstances just before the behavior started that I can think of. I have been observing her when she's not on me. She has been hiding, it's like she is scared of something. Right now she is in the kitchen hiding behind the coffee maker. I wonder if she is picking up something form me while I am sleeping.

I'm working on the last part which is the hardest part.