Morning sickness

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
theo92
Returning Cat Chatter

Morning sickness

Post by theo92 »

I have had my 2 semi-feral cats for 7 months now. Generally they have settled in well and seem to be in good health, but frequently one or other of the cats will be sick roughly half an hour after eating their breakfast. It is never both of them on the same day and I have varied their food in case it is a particular brand that is upsetting them.

I only give them 50g of food each to start with as they do gulp their food down quickly. They have never been sick at any other time of day.

As they are semi-feral cats, and hence not allowed out, I try not to over feed them as I presume they are using less energy than cats that are free to roam. (I have constructed a garden room behind the house where they can enjoy the fresh air and catch the occasional mouse). I limit the size of their main meals and in the evening i give them treats so that I have the opportunity to get closer to them (they won't let me touch them).

Any advice on their morning sickness would be appreciated. Thank you.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Morning sickness

Post by Kay »

it could be they are just gulping down their breakfast too quickly after the overnight fast - cats which have had to fend for themselves often eat too quickly because their instinct is to make sure they get enough in before another cat steals it from them

you could try them with a automatic feeder (I find the manual sort easiest to use) set to open during the night for a small interim feed - it is after all during the night cats naturally catch their prey
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I agree with the giving them some food overnight as it could be they are so hungry they’re eating too quickly. Little and often can help when they’re like this, and knowing there’s not reason to gulp the food down as they’ll soon be getting some more. Do you leave dry food down all the time? I always leave mine something to nibble on and I think that helps stop them eating too quickly, also helps if they get hungry during the night.
theo92
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by theo92 »

Thanks for your replies. Leaving biscuits out for them is not an option, as soon as there is any food around they eat the lot in seconds! I have to make sure I always put things away - they will eat bread, vegetables, breakfast cereal anything that I forget to clear away - guess they are natural scavengers (more like foxes). I will try setting the automatic pet feeder during the night, as you quite rightly say, if they were allowed out they would spend the night hunting mice and rabbits.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Our Chamaille used to be sick after a meal. It was not digested properly and we could tell when he was sick that he gulped it down too quickly. Problem is with ex feral/stray cats they eat what they can very quickly and are scavangers.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

This is just an idea, but suppose you give them some paté / paste type food, and spread it on something like a dinner plate so that they have to lick it off. Might that slow down their eating? Has anyone tried something like that?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

It might be worth trying to get a couple of the plastic food balls for them. You put the dried food in them and then they have to knock the balls around to make it come out of the small holes. They are meant to help with cats that bolt their food and to keep them entertained as they have to work for what food they get. Just be warned it can sound like WW3 during the night if you have laminate floors.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

MarySkater wrote:This is just an idea, but suppose you give them some paté / paste type food, and spread it on something like a dinner plate so that they have to lick it off. Might that slow down their eating? Has anyone tried something like that?
A bit late to this but just wanted to say what a fab idea!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Ruth B wrote:It might be worth trying to get a couple of the plastic food balls for them. You put the dried food in them and then they have to knock the balls around to make it come out of the small holes. They are meant to help with cats that bolt their food and to keep them entertained as they have to work for what food they get. Just be warned it can sound like WW3 during the night if you have laminate floors.
Great idea! We got our lively one a treat type one for Christmas, not to slow her down eating, just for entertainment purposes and she’s still learning to use it. During the night they should give them something to work for to nibble on.