Update on Ezri & Dax

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
EzriDax
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Update on Ezri & Dax

Post by EzriDax »

Hello all,

Its been 2 weeks now, and I think I am seeing progress! Dax growls and spits less but its still there. Today I bought a new cat tent and toy which Dax took some interest in which is different as he isn't normally interested. I have been getting cuddles in bed but nowhere where Ezri has been.

Anyway when I got the new tent out Dax got in and Ezri was on the other side and Dax started batting her with his paw. Ezri is still scared by him and backs away and also with the new toy which is a plastic thing with balls in it, Dax went to sniff her behind but Ezri jumped and ran away. Is the paw batting and sniffing backside an improvement?
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Update on Ezri & Dax

Post by MarySkater »

EzriDax wrote: Dax went to sniff her behind but Ezri jumped and ran away. Is the paw batting and sniffing backside an improvement?
I would say so. It shows a willingness to interact with her.

Dax was poorly, wasn't he? Is he better now?
EzriDax
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by EzriDax »

He seems to be getting better. He has been on Corvantal-D for 10 days now which has seemed to help his breathing. I think he is eating outside because we have reduced his food but he has put weight on. The vet wasn't the normal one when I went down today to pick up a prescription and was pretty poop because I wanted to know ways for him to lose weight and she just said 7+ food which we already do and have done for months.

Just had a scene in the new tent where I think Dax wants it for him and Ezri was in it so I put the old one down on the floor too and Ezri moved into it the old one and then Dax had a barney about that. He keeps hitting her with his paw (not sure if its with claws) and then hissing. I haven't seen any injury to her but when she goes to sleep I will see if there are any cuts.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarySkater »

If he's finding food outside, I don't know how you would deal with that. I've heard of people putting collar tabs on their cat reading "Please don't feed me," but that assumes that the outside person gets close enough to see it. If he's found a source of outside food put down for stray cats, or maybe a lard-based wild bird feeder, then I don't see how you can stop him, short of not letting him out at all. Maybe someone else with free-roaming cats could advise.
EzriDax
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by EzriDax »

It would be like WWIII if I kept him and never let him out again! He is a good hunter and regularly brings us birds, mice and frogs home. So maybe he is catching and eating them rather than bringing them home? He generally sleeps most of the day now, is that normal for a 4 year old?