Perineal urethrostomy- straining to pee post op

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nellyjuke
Frequent Cat Chatter

Perineal urethrostomy- straining to pee post op

Post by Nellyjuke »

Coco had to have perineal urethrostomy before Christmas. Vet couldn't get to crystal, original cause of blockage. Highs & lots of lows over past two weeks and thought we were on way till stitches out & cone off on Tuesday.

Last night he pooped then all agitated peeing everywhere which contained blood. Rushed him to A&E vets and they've kept him in.

He's had antibiotics and on IV fluids. Kidney parameters raised. He still straining, plan tomorrow is to X-ray & check surgery site to see what's up. Really worried as he's been through so much in past 3 weeks.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Perineal urethrostomy- straining to pee post op

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed for him
Nellyjuke
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Nellyjuke »

Thank you praying it's something they can sort out. My poor boy has really been through it. House so quiet without him. Another restless night ahead.
Nellyjuke
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Nellyjuke »

Coco came home last night, after fluids, antibiotics & pain relief. His appetite has increased a lot & done a lot of pees which have been clear. Plan is to gave stitches out, X-ray to check for stones, blood test for high calcium & check surgery site tomorrow.

He's also got a heart murmur! Poor boy really going through it. He had a grump on when I picked him up & wasn't for cuddling for few hours. Then he came round & wont leave my side.

He's continued to use litter tray since being home, was worried going into A&E would set him back, but it hasn't.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Vet suspects he had UTI on Friday. As the vet that admitted him didn't do urine culture, she got him on fluids & antibiotics, can't be 100% sure.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed he continues to improve
Nellyjuke
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Nellyjuke »

Vet has taken coco's stitches out today. X-ray of bladder & kidneys showed no stones. Colon ok. Wound healing ok & got to keep collar on until next weeks check up. Blood taken to explore high calcium.

He's home & bit wired after sedation. Good appetite & using his tray.

Hoping no emergency visits till the planned check up, fingers crossed.
Nellyjuke
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Nellyjuke »

Another mad dash to vets this morning. Coco pooped then kept straining with blood. Vet not concerned as he is eating, pooing & emptying bladder. Got to ride it out unless he doesn't do big wees.

Waiting for results for high calcium. Vet wants to start treating that before they decide whether to get wretched bladder stones, as that's another surgery.

He's eaten today, big wee & slept. I definitely think it's linked to when he poops, as that's when straining starts. Vet checked Bowel today & he's not constipated & his offering this morning wasn't hard.

Hoping we can't get through this.
Nellyjuke
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Nellyjuke »

Coco doing well & managed to poop on Friday without repercussions. No straining or bloody wees afterwards. Fingers crossed we are on the up now. Back to vets tomorrow for check of surgery wound & if ok the cone can be removed.

He's eating well, starting to wander round getting up to bit of mischief and sleeping lots. His favourite place is under the radiator, perhaps to keep his shaved bum warm!
satellite
New Cat Chatter

Post by satellite »

Hi, sorry to dig out such an old post.
I’m in Canada, and my kitty is just having the same situation right now. It’s been so hard and tough through all of these. I don’t know what’s happening next. I don’t know what’s my next step. I’m sitting outside of the emergency hospital right now typing all of these. I just hope my baby doesn’t have to suffer anymore. I don’t know if he will get better, If he can still be able to visit those parks we used to go. I miss him.
I’m so happy that your coco is doing so good after.