16 week old kitten, third eyelid showing?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mikesaa309
New Cat Chatter

16 week old kitten, third eyelid showing?

Post by mikesaa309 »

Hi all,

My beloved 12 year old cat sadly past away last weeked on the 31st of January. Feeling lost without a cat around we've got a 16 week old kitten though I still greatly miss my old cat it has helped a little having a cat around still. Has also been sad as my next door neighbors used to have quite a few cats that would come into our garden and they moved a few months ago and now my cat has passed away there are no cats about my area anymore.

It's great to have a playful kitten about again though however today we took him to the vets for injections and a health check and all seemed fine according to the vet except he's a little under weight and bottom jaw is a bit shorter than his top jaw. I have noticed though since being home from the vet he's for one a bit more sleepy than he was yesterday when we got him home though I assume this is the injections? Also I've noticed his 3rd eyelid is showing on his right eye which I believe may be cause of injury. My parents were the ones who took him to the vets but they said they were looking at his eyes and like pulling them about to open them up etc could it just be that the vet may have injured his eye and will recover from it or should we take him back to the vets?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 16 week old kitten, third eyelid showing?

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome. Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat but congrats on the new kitten.

The third eyelid being up can often be a sign of the cat being slightly off colour or stressed. The vet would have had to be shockingly incompetent to have injured the eye while examining it and I feel that it may well be a combination of change of home, no matter how loving, and the vet visit, and after effects of the vaccinations which can cause a cat/kitten to be off colour for a short while. You may find that his eyes are back to normal tomorrow (oops I mean today) even; the eyelid can retreat that fast. Or both eyelids can come up - and then as suddenly disappear. Any worries of course and any persisting symptoms, best ring the vet and discuss the problem; they may be able to reassure you without having to take him in for another visit.

Other people may be along with more knowledgeable advice, but hope this helps for now, all the best, please keep in touch :)
mikesaa309
New Cat Chatter

Post by mikesaa309 »

Thanks for quick reply,

After looking at his eye properly seems that both eyes have the 3rd eye lid showing though was reading online that it could show if they're sleepy. They don't seem to be showing today now that he's awake after sleeping so probably just injections made him feel ill.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

You're welcome :)

I'm so glad it went back to normal as fast as it did; thanks for updating and all the best :)