Diabolo wants to go out

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Diabolo wants to go out

Post by emmab »

We have had Diabolo for 4 -5 weeks now. It has been one step forward two steps back with him. The first week he was under the bed. He is now strokeable but only when he is eating but around that it impossible. We are making progress but boy it's slow. He still doesn't know his name very well but he understands "tea time" when we call him for food. However our other cat goes out all the time and this winds Diabolo up as he wants to go out too. He pines almost when Gemo goes out. He never tries to get out of the door but he is very vocal when he knows Gemo has gone out and sounds very sad. Not helping matters, Gemo peers through the window at him, which makes him worse! Can anyone guide us at to where we can go with him now? His meowing can be endless sometimes.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Diabolo wants to go out

Post by Lilith »

Diabolo's adult, isn't he? After 4-5 weeks, you could try taking him out under supervision, say just before a mealtime, and seeing if this pacifies him?

It's so cold at the moment that he'll probably decide he wants to come in pretty soon anyway - do you get the mistral in your part of France?

All the best :)
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thanks. I know that if he goes out he will run off. He is so nervy he just won't hang around.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

It's a bit early for a timid cat, we normally say at least 6 weeks. Hard when you have one that already goes out though.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

I was going to say why can’t Diabolo go out, then read your previous posts about the rescue saying he’d to stay in for a few months due to being very nervous. He should be ok after another few weeks (according to the rescue who I presume assessed him). Have you tried to play with him to distract him when he’s looking out and crying? Another thing I was wondering, have you tried picking him up and putting him on your knee? I know when I fostered nervous cats I encouraged them to come round by going to them when they were hiding in a corner, and putting them on my knee and stroking and talking to them. Then when my hubby got home I got him to do the same and it always worked in a short time. If the cat jumps down then let them don’t force them to stay on your knee of course, but just giving a bit of gently coaxing should help. Gently going to him and stroking him and talking to him, and fussing your other cat in front of him so he can see you’re a kind person who won’t harm him. It may take time but should work eventually. I often sensed they were tense at first but after a while, it’s like oh it’s not that bad this sitting on the knee lark and they will stay longer and start purring :)
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

He simply won't come near us yet. The only time I can give him a little stroke it at mealtimes but he is so jumpy. Yesterday he was eating from Gemos dish and so I picked him up and he accidentally scratched me quite badly with his claws. He is so nervy, we cannot get near him, be it treats time, playing, anything really.