Hard spots on belly EDIT: omg I've forgotten to worm him!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Phantom T Cat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Hard spots on belly EDIT: omg I've forgotten to worm him!

Post by Phantom T Cat »

The following was before I checked my diary for his worm doses and realised that I am an neglectful idiot. I'll leave it here just incase it's not ringworm, or that it can help anyone else

Hi again guys, you are my go to forum for cat help, and my New Year resolution is to spend more time here and repay the courtesy I have received over the years.

Anywho, Mr Phantom has been grooming his belly alot recently, and in a quiet moment I got to feel his Inner Sanctum; he has some little hard spots on his abdomen. They are just like (I apologise for grossing anyone out) what picked zits felt like when I was a teenager: small and crusty. He had no pain response, and I'm nearly certain he was glad I had found them, if that makes any sense. I'm going to bring him to the vet, but any pointers you guys can give me will be really welcome, as I'm a bit freaked out I didn't pick this up earlier, and also getting a bit wary of unnecessary vet treatments.
New Year's greetings and thanks.
PTC
Phantom T Cat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Hard spots on belly EDIT: omg I've forgotten to worm him!

Post by Phantom T Cat »

Sorry to post in my own thread: he has been getting Broadline regularly, which treats worms.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Added after your latest post - Broadline would get rid of fleas, so it shouldn't be that.

Just a point of clarification: "ringworm" is not a worm, it's a fungus, so giving a cat a worm dose won't affect it. But back to the spots: I don't recognise them as ringworm, but the only case of ringworm I had direct experience of was on a horse, so maybe it appears differently on a cat. Other possible causes are bites from fleas or some other insect (e.g., does he go out, and might he have been lying on an ants' nest?). Or maybe an allergy of some sort. You say he doesn't show pain with the spots, but is he itchy? If you are able to scratch him, does he show pleasure?

I hope someone with more experience of cat skin problems will be along soon, but it does sound like you need the vet visit.

PS, and nothing to do with cats, but - based on your username - would it mean something to you if I mention that a little while ago I paid a visit to Box 5 in the Paris Opera House? :twisted:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

MarySkater wrote: PS, and nothing to do with cats, but - based on your username - would it mean something to you if I mention that a little while ago I paid a visit to Box 5 in the Paris Opera House? :twisted:
Box 5 and no ill effects? I'd stay clear of chandeliers if I were you! :lol:

As for the 'crusty bits', Bob has a few of those around his neck where he has had tick bites. They come off in time, but I can feel them when I tickle his neck. He is treated for ticks but they are persistent little beggers. Some still latch on take a bite and drop dead (I know, too much information!)
Phantom T Cat
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Phantom T Cat »

Hi Mary, I'm always getting my worms confused!
I tried scratching his belly again, but the trap was primed with predictable results. :shock:
As for the 'Phantom', nothing as cultured I am afraid; he was just a very elusive stray until he moved in. Though he does get called the Phantom Menace when he is very bold, which makes him sad because that is a terrible terrible movie. He does have his own box 5 however, which like the famous box 5 no one is allowed to go near. Luckily for him it's cardboard and a bit smelly, alot like Paris..(.SORRY could not resist!!..Joking, Paris is beautiful ) :P
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

bobbys girl wrote: Box 5 and no ill effects? I'd stay clear of chandeliers if I were you! :lol:
For the sake of any other "Phantom of the Opera" enthusiasts here (and to avoid derailing the thread too far) you can get the story here:
http://desertedphans.forumotion.net/t24 ... is-garnier
if you scroll down to the bottom of the page.
bobbys girl wrote: As for the 'crusty bits', Bob has a few of those around his neck where he has had tick bites. They come off in time, but I can feel them when I tickle his neck. He is treated for ticks but they are persistent little beggers. Some still latch on take a bite and drop dead (I know, too much information!)
Ticks are a good thought. We get used to dealing with fleas, but it's always worth remembering that there are other biting beggars around.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Daft question, but are you sure you weren't feeling his nipples?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Not a daft question at all! Bob has nipples like chapel hat pegs. :shock: :lol: He is quite happy to have his tummy tickled and when I first discovered them, I wondered what the heck they were.