My cat has been throwing up and not eating.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lionelsmum
New Cat Chatter

My cat has been throwing up and not eating.

Post by Lionelsmum »

We took him to the vet a few hours ago and they gave him subcutaneous electrolytes and an anti nausea injection called cerenia. He also had some X-rays and it showed excess gas but nothing too unusual. It has been 3 hours and he is still hiding and not eating. I gave him some ground up chicken and rice as per the vets suggestion. His appetite is usually voracious.

He threw up 5 times yesterday and once early this morning. No vomiting since but still no energy or appetite.

I thought the anti nauseant might help his appetite but now I'm starting to really worry. It's been about 28 hours since he last ate. Any tips or ideas on how to get him to eat or do I just wait it out and take him back to the vet tomorrow? Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My cat has been throwing up and not eating.

Post by Kay »

Problem is what is the cause of the sickness, I would have thought. Did the vet suggest anything?

And I wonder if chicken and rice is likely to tempt a reluctant cat - I use favourite treats when I want to check if not eating is a can't or won't thing

Is he drinking water? Dehydration is I think a bigger threat than starvation at the moment