Catching claws /retraction problem?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Catching claws /retraction problem?

Post by emmab »

Diabolo has been with us for 6 weeks after 9 months at the refuge. He seems to have problems with his claws catching on the shag pile rug etc. They are white ish claws so whilst most black cats have black claws his are easy to see. They are incredibly sharp (I have been on the receiving end of them, accidentally) but he catches them on everything! I have scratch mats, posts etc and he does claw the door mat which I have brought indoors but not much. I can see he retracts them ok but they are visible even when he is walking and can hear him tapping as he walks on the wood floor. Is this OK?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Catching claws /retraction problem?

Post by bobbys girl »

We have exactly the same problem with Willow's claws. BTW they are a chalky white too! You can hear her tapping across the wooden floors.

She is not much for the great outdoors, so her claws don't get much action. We have to clip them every so often or she gets them caught in jumpers and cushions and then panics. Silly old puss.

She is due another trim - I shall have to get the tranquilizers out - for me! :lol:

The good thing is, with them being white, you can see where to cut. OH uses trimmers he bought from the vets. I get the fun job of holding her still. :shock:
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I am annoyed really as he went to the vetbfor his free health check after adoption and if I had known she could of done them then. As it is I cannot do them with wither of our cats. Diabolo is not friendly enough yet and Gemo wriggles too much. It may have to wait until he goes in March for his vaccinations. I hope they don't injure themselves and tear them.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Can you get some help from a friend? It is a two 'man' job! March is a long time to wait if you are having problems. Willow gets in such a state when she rags something and even then it takes two of us, one to hold her and one to free the claw - stressful for all concerned.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

When he went to the vets he was so petrified bless him he froze and she could do anything. When we go near him he is OK but if we try and grab him he is very strong and would scratch us to bits.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I suggest a big towel and nerves of steel! :lol:
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

bobbys girl wrote:I suggest a big towel and nerves of steel! :lol:
I think you are right. Problem is he is just starting to trust us too and comes up to us a little now which is something we never imagined would happen for months. Will have to do it but hope it doesn't set him back too much. I cannot underestimate that whilst his progress has been slow since adoption, he has far exceeded any expectations we had at this stage of his development with us and integration.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Worst move ever. He now doesn't trust us again and is keeping his distance! Back to square one pretty much as well as him being quite aggresive whilstbtrying to do it. Is stressing him out too much.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Is it not easier to take them to the vets. I always take Theo. Its done in a minute. I wouldn't take a chance doing them myself
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Sorry about that Emma. It has always worked for us with Willow - even though we do get the 'Medusa' stare for a while after!

It sounds like nanny pamy's is a better suggestion. He really does need them trimming.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Hubby and I have just had an arguement about it. He wanted me to take him to the vets, I suggested we do it as it is quicker and cheaper! He won the arguement...again!!!!!!!
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

My vet only charges 5 pounds an he only needs them doing about every 3/4 months. Its done so quick and professionally that it has no effect on Theo
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

Sofi has this problem too being an indoors cat. We don't really worry about it as it doesn't really seem to affect her and we don't really have a lot of cardis in this household. (It's not the Spanish way) I just keep my wolly pullies out of harms reach and change into casual clothes when I get home from work so they can be Sofi'ed.
I also check her paws when she's asleep to ensure she isn't getting any overgrown nails and clip quietly on occasion. When this one snores you know she's out!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I know you have to be really careful cutting cats claws as there are nerves and blood vessels in them. Some older cats claws can get quite horny and thick. when the claws are trimmed, they need the outer sheath to come off too - it is a bit of a knack. I would at least get a vet or more likely, a vet nurse to show you the first time.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

The first time we noticed Willow's problem we took her to the vets. We watched carefully as they did it and feel confident enough to do it ourselves. I would take her to the vets, but that stresses her far more than we do. She goes mental at the vets and her heart rate goes through the roof!

We have a new cushion (a Christmas present) Willow is intrigued by it. Unfortunately it has little loops around the edge and she keeps getting her claws caught. :roll:
Marybell
New Cat Chatter

Post by Marybell »

bobbys girl wrote:The first time we noticed Willow's problem we took her to the vets. We watched carefully as they did it and feel confident enough to do it ourselves. I would take her to the vets, but that stresses her far more than we do. She goes mental at the vets and her heart rate goes through the roof!

We have a new cushion (a Christmas present) Willow is intrigued by it. Unfortunately it has little loops around the edge and she keeps getting her claws caught. :roll:
I noticed that too. We use the heart rate zone calculator at home but anytime we visit the vet, Willie's heart rate goes through the roof. Hmm, scary.