Grooming advice

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Didi
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Grooming advice

Post by Didi »

Me again the neurotic one !!
Bilbo seems to be doing an awful lot of grooming specifically around his rear end, tail and front paws all the areas he had shaved. I am assuming this is partly because the fur isn't starting to grow back and it's maybe a bit "itchy" but being the worrywart that I am and knowing one of the signs of cystitis is excessive licking of the genitalia I am starting to obsess about how much licking he is doing.
Most of his attention does seem to be around the base of his tail - shaved- and his front paws - shaved - so I am assuming it is because the fur is growing back he is weeing still not huge amounts but he doesn't appear to be straining and is eating like a horse as long as it isn't the wet food

I really wish I could stop worrying it's making me so anxious which I'm sure he then picks up on. My question is what level of grooming is considered normal and do cats who have been shaved lick the areas more than normal

Sorry for being such a pain my only experience of a sick cat previously ended with my boy having to be PTS so I am terrified that history will repeat even though my sensible head tells me not to be silly he is eating drinking playing etc and he will be fine my emotions are having real problems processing this

I have only given him half a pill of the xanax today after speaking to the vet as it was like a chemical kosh and I was unhappy about him being so drugged. I am back in work tomorrow so will put half of one in some wet food and his muscle relaxant on some more wet food then feed him again when I get home I'm not looking forward to leaving him but I think he may be glad to see the back of me. Sometimes I see him looking at me with that "for goodness sake woman" look on his face
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Grooming advice

Post by MarySkater »

When my kitten Ria was spayed last month, she had a square shaved patch on her side. My vet doesn't put lampshade collars on cats, so she was able to lick the area, and I kept a close watch in case she started to pull the stitches out. But it did look as though most of her licking was round the edge of the shaved area, and the "hedge" of long fur around it was the bit that got wet. So it may well be that Bilbo is just reacting to the fact that his fur there is a different texture to what he's used to.