Getting a cat to the vets

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Getting a cat to the vets

Post by emmab »

I am at my witts end. I have been trying this morning to get our cat to the vets. He only needs his nails clipping but boy what a problem. I got him into the cage and then he escaped just as I was shutting the door. He is so stressed as I have spent an hour trying. He even pooped on the floor he was so stressed. I cannpt afford to give him this much stress as it has now set him back even further in his trust with us. When I try doing this it is 5 steps back. It is inevitable he will need to go to the vets at some point but now sure how without stressing him out ao much. there are lots of recommendations on line but they are useless and totally ridiculous because the a cat that is having problems going to the vet is often very stressed and getting them in the box with treats is for cats who are not too bad. Please help.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Getting a cat to the vets

Post by meriad »

Emma, what carrier do you have? Often top loading ones are easier for difficult cats than the front loading ones. If you have a front loading one, tip it up so the opening is upwards and try put your boy in bum first. Alternatively maybe try wrapping him in a towel first and then when wrapped put him in the carrier. Also, I find it easier with mine when I use the larger carrier as the door is bigger :D

Also, what I tend to do when I have an upcoming vet appointment, is get the carrier out about 3 days prior and just leave it standing around, usually with the grid off. The cats are wary at first but then become curious; one may go into the box etc. Then the day of the vet visit I move the box into the bathroom about an hour before hand and then when the time comes I nab the cat I need, take them to the bathroom and close the door so they cannnot escape the room.

for your cat it may help to cover the carrier once you have him in it - keeping it secure and dark.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

They have both carriers, top and side loading. The carrier is not the problem, it is getting him to the carrier. We are not talking minor problems...he is very timid with us, so is impossible with the carrier. I am trying to enclose him in the loo atm but he is wild when he is like this and I think even that maybe impossible. He has been in the kitchen for an hour and no joy. He is wise now to things going on.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

if it's for a claw clip only then I'd cancel and leave him to calm down; could you not try clipping his claws yourself? If he's timid enough with you and you're able to touch his paws then it's actually not all that difficult. Just be cautious and take the tips off only
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Sorry Meriad but that is impossible. He is very nervous and getting hold of him is near on impossible so cutting his claws is a no go. He is a strong cat. Getting him in his basket is a real challenge. His past experience with humans may not of been good and he has been at the refuge for months.
He was getting better and a couple of days ago tried cutting his claws and we could not get him and today for an hour tried to get him in his box. I can leave him for now but we are talking a long term issue with his nervousness. There will be a time he will need to go to the vets. TBH he needs to go now as his claws are getting caught on the rugs,
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Can you pick him up OK when a vet visit isn't involved?

If yes, then I think you may need to go down the towel route and wrap him up and then put him into the carrier. And I mean swaddle like you would a baby so he cannot escape

Gosh it's really hard sometimes. I've had a merry chase with Harry around the garden before but thankfully have always manged to nab him when I've needed to, but his heart is pounding when I get him and he's totally freaked out. So you do have my sympathies :(
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I would have to say if he is that stressed out, it is time to cancel this appointment and make one for a weeks time.

Leave the carrier out so he doesn't start to associate that with stress and let him calm down. When he has calmed down, try and get him use to you fussing and stroking him on the neck behind the ears. Then when it is time for the next appointment, try and keep very calm and fuss him on the back of the neck then change this to actually take hold of the skin at the back of the neck. Lift him up and drop him in the carrier, prefably the top loading one, you should then be just about able to shut the lid with your hand still holding him down and withdraw your hand quickly as you finish closing the lid..

If there is one place in the house that you have more success in fussing him have the carrier near there. I tried all the other advice with Freyja and this was the technique that worked best, whether it will work in May when she is due a booster is a different matter. You have to keep calm, if you get worked up, Diabolo (I assume its Diabolo) will pick up on it and get stressed straight off, however this is far easier said than done. You will also only really have one chance, mess it up and if he is anything like Freyja it will be a few days before you can really start the process of fussing the back of the neck again.

The only other suggestion is to ask the vet if there is any type of sedative you could put in his food in the morning to calm him down before the appointment. I don't like recommending the use of drugs, but there is a time and place for them.

Hope he calmes down soon and good luck with the next attempt.

As far as the towel method goes, it worked once on Freyja, after that it was months before i could even pick up a towel to have a shower with out her running off, she still won't let me approach her with any piece of material in hand.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thankyou. The towel method failed with the clipping of nails as he was too strong for us. It also failed today as we simply cannot get near him to put a towel on him. With an average cat all these suggestions would work a treat I am sure but reading what I am is impossible for him. Thank you for your help. I have used a sedative for long car journeys and they worked well. Like you say, time and a place. I am waiting for the vet to call back. Luckily they understand the situation and said I can just turn up when I can with him.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Ok have been bitten and scratched now! Tried again this afternoon as he was hungry and a good time to get him. Ruined a good top as well in the process with his teeth marks!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Emma, I'd leave him be for a good few days and just ignore him.

So hard for you because you just want to do what's right for Diabolo; but personally I'd just leave him be.

Just want to say though, thank you for not giving up on this boy. Hopefully with time your patience, care and love for him will be rewarded and he'll learn to totally trust you and become the biggest cuddle cat ever. My Monty - admittedly was never anywhere near as bad as your Diabolo, but Monty was an incredibly scared and timid boy when I got him. It took over a year for him to not run out the house whenever I came home and even to this day - 4 years down the line, if something freaks him out his first reaction is to run outside and hide. But he's now the biggest ever cuddle bunny

I really really hope that you too, in time, will be rewarded as I was x
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Thanks Meriad. I love him to bits but he has reduced me to tears today as it is so frustrating and have probably made things worse. He has wrecked my wrist with scratches and bites! Do you let yours out Meriad? I think he needs to remain indoors as he is so timid and does not know his name yet but if he goes out he will be able to keep his claws shorter and won't keep nearly tearing his claws. Not sure when the right time to let him out is. The refuge said he will need to remain indoors for a few months. I cannot ket him out any time soon as we have a lot of snow.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Yes Emma, mine do go outside. I have six cats in total and up until the acquisition of cat nr 4 - Harry - the other three used to live the normal indoor / outdoor life. But Harry is a bit daft and I soon realised that I had to confine him for his own safety so cat proofed the garden. But I was really lucky in that I could do it in such a way that the first three (Abbie, Jamie and Monty) can still come and go and leave the garden as they wish, but the three 'newbies' are confined to house and garden only.

I'm trying to think back how long I had Monty inside but I think it was about four or a bit more weeks before he was allowed outside. He bonded really well with Abbie so would take a lot of cues from her and he never tried to run away. Yes he'd scarper at the drop of a hat, but as time went it was quicker and quicker that he realised inside is nice and warm and he'd come back in. He's still not keen on strangers and will not come inside if there are people there he doesn't know / trust. He's more wary of men than woman and he doesn't like loud people.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Hmm Ok. Did he know his name though? Was he that friendly at 4 weeks? Diabolo is not massively friendly unless he wants something. If we call him he doesn't even answer. He reacts to tea time on his terms. If we let him out I am not sure how skittish he would be and am pretty sure he wouldn't come in when we call him.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

He was called Bobby when I got him, but I changed it to Monty... not sure he knew his name to be honest; but the 'ee' sound at the end never changed. And he did come in on his own terms, not when I called him; but at least though I did know that he was coming in / home.

I think in your situation I'd keep him in until Spring when the weather is 100% better and no more risk of snow / ice / frost etc; and I'm sure he'll come in for food when he's hungry
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I just hope he never needs a vet because then we are in trouble. Vets aren't being very helpful atm which doesn't help the situation. I was toying with getting the vet out and doing his nails, vaccinations and the lot in one go? Think it would cost a fortune though
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I would make an appointment for next week, and leave the carrier out between now and then - I also have problems with getting Lucy to the vet, when I first got her, she was that big you couldn't even scruff her, the rescue had to corner her and use a towel. First time I took her, I caught her unawares so she tolerated it, the next time, she hid under the bed, so I had to cancel the appointment, and when I got her there two days later, I was bruised and scratched. She is getting better at being caught, but it sets her back after. I get to do it again this Fri.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Luckily as I said the vet locally has said we don't need an appointment for his claws just turn up. However even with two of us itnis a joke. We have always had cats that go into their cage without too many issues.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I have just been watching a video on Facebook of a cat playing with a toy that has a scratching board in the middle of a plastic ring with an enclosed ball that can roll around it. As the cat turns around to chase the ball, his claws get a bit of a work out on the scratcher. It made me think of your problem with Diabolo's claws and wondered if he would be likely to play with something like this. It looks like it is only cardboard in the middle but we have a cardboard scratcher and it is quite effective. Anything that makes him use his claws and maintain them might help.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Actually Emma, Ruth has a good idea there, but rather than a cardboard scratcher - would you be able to get hold of a log with bark and put that somewhere in the house. Diabolo may well use that for scratching and sorting his claws? Admittedly not excactly the most beautiful piece furniture to have in a house but if you could put it somewhere hidden away with some catnip sprinkled over it? I've got loads of it at home, happy to send you some if you pm me your address?

And another though, have you tried valerian with him? Or Bach rescue remedy drops in his drinking water - 8 drops every day in fresh water? Again that may help?
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

We have every cardboard scratcher and post in the house but a good idea, if he would use them!!!He uses an old chair too but he then gets caught on the arms which is horrible because I cannot go up to him else he panics and legs it. I am concerned he will tear his claws or dislocate his legs. I will try a log though...we have everything else so a log won't look any worse in the lounge than it does now....thank you
Sorry...yes the vet gave him something to take which worked reasonably well for 3 weeks but has stopped it now. Since he has stopped he is about the same so not sure more would make any difference?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Try valerian - some people don't like the smell though so be warned. Personally i don't find it all that offensive at all. Not sure what you can get but we can get it in liquid form here to mix in with a treat if that would work? Or also as the dried herb, similar to cat nip.

Happy to send some over if you need (your're not UK based right?)

Also definitely try rescue remedies. Pet Remedy is a valerian based diffuser. Found this on Zooplus but it's catnip vs valerian so not sure how that would work: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... ser/577790
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Ahh, well I am using Feliway but it is rubbish. I thought at first it may work as he was in one room but now he has the run of the house not sure. I have put the plug in next to his sleeping area bit is a little hidden behind furniture which they say is not good. Is this what you mean as per the link? Thanks for the offer of the valarian. How does it affect the cat? Is it strong, safe etc? I should be able to get it. Is it a prescription thing or can you recommend anywhere ie amazon etc please?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Valerian is totally natural and 100% safe so not a problem at all. I used to be quite a nervous child and my mom used to give me drops of it on sugar when I was younger ;) it's quite bitter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Remedy-Nat ... pet+remedy is the diffuser . I've looked for the dried stuff but can't find it; will ask a friend who uses it to make cat toys. Will get back asap

I've got the catnip at home.... not valerian; sorry, wasn't very clear
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I remembered you saying you had scratching boards and posts and he wouldn't use them, which is why when I saw the one that was also a toy I thought he might be willing to play with the ball and inadvertently use the scratching board section.

It is horrible to watch a cat get their claws caught and know you can't go and help them. Remember that the claws are designed to break off if need be so don't panic if you find what looks like a claw around the house it will most likely just be the outer sheath. Like our nails, if the cats claws get too long they can break without causing a problem, as far as I know the only one that can cause a problem if it grows too long is the dew claw which can curve around and grow into the side of the paw. However I have only know this happen in older cats, hopefully by then you will be able to trim it yourself if he ever needs it doing.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Emma, I know it's no laughing matter but this came up on my FB feed and I just had to share it with you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpCl5O6tTv8

;)
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

meriad wrote:Emma, I know it's no laughing matter but this came up on my FB feed and I just had to share it with you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpCl5O6tTv8

;)
Thank you...thats brill, except he didn't draw as much blood as Diabolo! I think Simons cat is a little tamer. They are great aren't they.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Emmab I haven't posted as others have given good advice. Mum's cat Tim Tam, both now gone to the Bridge, hated being put in the cage and I was the one who had to do it. She hated me! I agree with putting the cage out for a while and just let Diabolo 'settle' for a tad. Keep us posted. I think,it's funny they hate going in to go to the vet but once seen go back in with no trouble. Vivian
Didi
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Didi »

Neither cat I have had has ever gone easily into the box, unless they were really poorly and having gone through all the stress of getting them on once we get to the vets they won't come out !
I always leave the box out for at least a week with the door off before any routine appointments and put one of his favourite toys in there as well as a couple of treats a day so he isn't quite as freaked out by it
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Mayday21 wrote:Hi Emmab I haven't posted as others have given good advice. Mum's cat Tim Tam, both now gone to the Bridge, hated being put in the cage and I was the one who had to do it. She hated me! I agree with putting the cage out for a while and just let Diabolo 'settle' for a tad. Keep us posted. I think,it's funny they hate going in to go to the vet but once seen go back in with no trouble. Vivian
I think for him it is more just getting to him and picking him up than even getting anywhere near the box, but like you all say that is a time thing. As far as his claws go, he has blocks of wood, cardboard clawing mats and scratch posts...our lounge looks like an obstacle course atm, Thanks for all you help.