Letting cats out for the first time - nervous!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Bluebell
Frequent Cat Chatter

Letting cats out for the first time - nervous!

Post by Bluebell »

Long post, sorry!
I am after a bit of advice please about letting my two cats out for the first time. They are a boy and girl, around 3 1/2, and we adopted them just over two weeks ago. I was thinking of waiting until we have had them 3-4 weeks, but I am really nervous. The reason for this is that our first cat, who lived to 18, hardly wandered anywhere, but when she passed away we got another rescue who, after 4 months with us, went missing. Looking back, the cat that went missing was not happy with us unfortunately, she was supposed to be a friendly family cat but was very bitey and would go for you if you tried to stroke her (we soon learnt to leave her be!) she was staying out for longer and longer and one day she just didn't come home.
This time round we made sure to adopt two friendly affectionate cats, and luckily we have found the perfect pair. The girl, a small tabby, just loves strokes and attention, the boy is a bit less upfront but does enjoy strokes when he's in the mood, and has never ever lashed out at us. They are such lovely sweet cats and I am so scared that history will repeat itself amd one or both will go missing. The boy is really taking an interest in the world outside, and is very energetic during play sessions, so I know he will love our large garden.
That was a long ramble sorry. But any hints tips or advice about letting them out would be much appreciated. We do have a microchip catflap which I guess they'll have to learn to use too.
Thank you :D
Batterseagal
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Letting cats out for the first time - nervous!

Post by Batterseagal »

Hi there,
I'm a newbie and have only just registered as I need to ask a question about my rescue cat at some point. However, after seeing your post I thought I could possibly answer with my own experience relating to your enquiry.
Once our 4 year old rescue cat had at least 4 weeks indoors she gradually became familiar with the scent and orientation of her new home, it was then we opened the back door, very cautiously I hasten to add. I let her creep outside whilst I was in the garden with her. Initially she was outside for 1 minute and flew back inside. We locked the cat flap and the next day let her explore longer, and so on for the following days.
Now she is confident outside, but is in a lot of the time this time of the year. We'll have to wait until summer to see if she stays out longer. Also, we lock the cat flap at dusk. So she is in all night.
Hope this will help somewhat.
Good luck!
Bluebell
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Bluebell »

Hi Batterseagal and thanks for your reply. That sounds like a good approach. Our cat that went missing was such an adventurous cat who seemed to have no fear of the outside world! I think these two will be a bit more cautious so hopefully that will work in my favour. Also I was told to let them out hungry so will try that too.
Hope all is going well for you and your rescue cat :)
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I have to agree that giving at least 3 to 4 weeks before letting them out is a good idea.

During the time between now and their first excursion make sure their meal times are regular and even if they are about your feet when getting the food ready make sure that you 'call' their names even quietly to make sure they know what time they get fed and associate the sound of their names with food.

Let them out for the first time about 15 to 30 minutes before a meal time and after a few minutes call them in. If they come in feed them then. Gradually let them out for longer periods and always time it so that you are calling them in just before a meal time.

Take it slow and I am sure that you won't have any problems with them. Although if your lad is anything like my young lad he will enjoy a good wander. I have accepted that Saturn will miss the odd meal and wander in 18 to 20 hours after he was last seen like nothing was wrong and where's the food. Knowing he does it doesn't stop me worrying and having to have a quick walk around the area just to make sure there is no sign of him.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I know it's not always possible to cat-proof your garden, depending on its shape and whether you own the property. But I had part of my garden enclosed as a cat-playground, so mine can go that far and no further. It gives me tremendous peace of mind. Other than that, I can only echo what has already been said - keep them in another week or two, and let them out before a meal, so they have a reason to come back.
Bluebell
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Bluebell »

Thanks everyone for the advice, really helpful. Will definitely keep them in for another couple of weeks and let them out before a mealtime. They do have regular mealtimes although they are rather obsessed with food and would happily be fed any time of the day! We can't cat proof our garden as it is a large garden with a big lawn area, so cat proofing wouldn't be practical.
Ruth B I have a feeling that my boy will be like yours, it must make you very twitchy when he doesn't come home. But I do think it's cruel to keep them in, boy cat is looking longingly at the outside world and given the way he plays, I think he will be a hunter :o
Will keep you posted when we do decide to take the plunge.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Good re keeping them indoors a bit longer - in all honesty if they're not scrabbling to go out then I'd probably wait until winter is over and done with and no more cold snaps. Just in case they do venture further than they should....

And in the meantime you could try do what I did with mine. Find a rattle (either toy or proper child one) and before you feed them shake the rattle so they start associating that noise with food and / or treats. Then when the time comes, let them out - best time is before breakfast - give them a minute or so then shake the rattle and hopefully they'll come running inside. Give them about 1/3 of their usual portion of food and then let them out again but this time a bit longer and repeat the rattle / feeding process. Needs to be said, that one of the main reasons I rattle trained my lot was because I didn't want to be that mad cat lady standing in the garden calling out all their names trying to get them home :lol: And so far it's worked a charm with all of them.

Another thing to make sure is that you leave them to walk out the house on their own, don't pick them up to take them into their garden. Their paws need to leave scent marks

it's such a nerve wracking time isn't it.... I'm really lucky in that my garden now is cat proofed so I don't have that worry anymore, but still.... even with that cat proofing I'm always happy when my cats are indoors near me :D
Bluebell
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Bluebell »

Meriad that is a really good idea :) I think that could work as our cats are so greedy! Maybe I will wait until this cold snap is over. Also I am definitely thinking of keeping them in after tea so I know they are safe. Thanks for all the tips everyone.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Every time I hear the cat flap go I worry about them, but I have also seen the amount of joy they get from being allowed outside. As for cat proofing the garden, it is something I am in two minds about. I can see it being wonderful for peace of mind, but I only have a rather small garden and while some of the cats are happy to stay in ones like Saturn and even Tiggy in her younger days liked to wander a bit. As I'm on one of those 'quiet cul de sacs' I don't really have to worry about the traffic although I know even on a quiet road accidents can happen. I also worry that in some areas, cat proofing a garden might be taken as a big sign 'expensive pedigree pet lives here' and just be an invite to thieves, whether or not a pedigree did live there or not.

Saturn has turned into quite a mouser, I have lived at this address for 20 years, and for 19 of those had 2 or more cats. Until we had Saturn we had only received a couple of mice brought in as presents. For the last few months Saturn seems to be managing about 1 a fortnight unless the weather is particularly bad. I don't know if a property has become vacant near by, I could see anything when I went for a bit of a walk or if he is just going further afield than the others have to find them.

I also remember reading many years ago about naming cats and one thing to remember when choosing a name is it has to be something you won't mind yelling at 10.00 at night while shaking a box of crunchies.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I get where you're coming from Ruth and I used to be the same and would still be if it weren't for Harry. I only cat proofed when I got him (cat nr 4) because he really isn't the brightest cat and the first two times I let him out he ended up 10 or so houses down crying at their door. I managed to catch him thankfully and figured it was a case of keeping him in a bit longer; but now all these years later I don't think things would have changed - he really is a lovable but super daft boy :D

But then what totally made my mind up for me was when I found out that a neighbour to the back of me had a working spaniel (or two) and that he didn't like cats and I'd heard that he was horrid enough that he'd let the dogs out deliberately if there was a cat in his garden. Harry cannot jump, esp anything as high as a 6ft fence and I knew if he ever managed to get into their garden he'd not have a chance of getting out; so cat proofing seemed the perfect solution. Thankfully the neighbour has since moved and the people living there now have a cat of their own - so all good :D
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Blue, our old Ragdoll wasn't the sharpest knife in the block, but fortunately, after a couple of issues when neighbouring cats blocked his route home (we watched from the window and were prepared to rescue him if need be) he decided that staying in the garden was the better option. We also have small pond that seems to be considered neutral ground by the local cats. Any cat can come in to drink, but if they take one step closer to the house Tiggy seems to go into a psycho cat mode and chase them down the garden. Part of me would hate to stop the local cats, and I presume other animals, reaching it in the summer months.
Bluebell
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Bluebell »

Yes my old girl was like that, she never wandered far, her favourite spot was on some sleepers in the front garden in a patch of sun. I loved that cat. Such a shock when the new cat just didn't settle and eventually voted with her feet...
Our Two new cats are already such a part of our family, such sweet natured animals and I am paranoid about losing them. But in the long run its cruel to keep them in, when I know they'd love it outside. The dilemma of the cat owner!