Flowers

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Davetf
New Cat Chatter

Flowers

Post by Davetf »

I purchased a bouquet of flowers for my wife and it seems to have something in it that drives our cat slightly silly. The bouquet contains:- Cerise Germini, White Gyp, Pink Oriental Lily, Pink Roses, White Lisianthus. Eucalyptus and Salal greenery. The re is a long stem with a 'grey' bulb on the top that the cat cannot keep away from and keeps licking and pawing. She then seems to become very 'relaxed'. can anyone tell me what it is and if it is dangerous?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Flowers

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Have you got a photo of the plant/flower your cat likes? It sounds a little similar to young Solomon's Seal, which can be poisonous if nibbled, although it tastes nasty, and I grew it for years without mishap.

But lily pollen is very toxic to cats. There's a chance that it could shed on to the cat's fur and be licked off. Some people cut the stamens off lilies, though this spoils the flower, but I'd definitely keep your cat away from this bouquet (which sounds very nice I must say, just not very cat friendly.) All the best :)
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. I’m not sure what the plant could be without looking up although I have a good idea what you mean as I have had flowers similar with a very stick stem and bulb like top which opens up, a bit tropical looking? but Lilith is right in that you have to be careful and Lilies are definitely a no-no. Here is a list of poisonous flowers:

http://cpnewcastle.co.uk/plantstoxictocats.htm

The bouquet does sound lovely, but do keep the flowers away from your cat. I remember fostering a cat and when it was rehomed the new family sent me a message that the cat was having fun with the lillies in the vase. I was panicking like mad trying to get in touch (which I did eventually phew :shock: ) because they are very toxic but not everyone knows that. Glad you asked, fusses to your little kitty :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Agree with what the others have said. As the site's 'resident gardener', I'd be interested to see a photo of the flowers too.

BTW I love lillies and grow them in my garden. It's a bit fiddly but if you cut out the pollen stamens the flowers last longer. Just be careful to do it over the bin or sink so no pollen falls where the cats can get at it - and keep it off your hands, it stains like mad!

My cat Gracie has a thing for grasses - ANY grasses! She grazes on them like a cow. Causes havoc in displays. :roll: Doesn't seem to affect her at all.
Davetf
New Cat Chatter

Post by Davetf »

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. I have removed the flowers, but found one of the stems in the cats basket where she obviously had taken it (thrown it out now). I have attached a photo of the bouquet.
Attachments
Pink Blush.jpg