Noooooooooooo Sticky Buds!!!!!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
DollyB
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Noooooooooooo Sticky Buds!!!!!!

Post by DollyB »

Halo, my long haired cat has just come in absolutely covered in sticky buds and dragging about 2' of the stuff, stuck to her fluffy bum. Not only on the top of her coat but deep in, next to her skin. She's had a good old roll in them, bless her!! They are obviously bothering her, I must have picked at least 50 of them off her already. I've had a go with a comb and a slicker but she hates being groomed,( luckily, for me, she attacks the brush rather than the brusher) but she's still got lots to go. She's hiding at the moment but I need to help her, I just know that every little bud will turn into a matt, she won't like me getting the brush on those either!!

Any hints on getting the little blighters out?
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Noooooooooooo Sticky Buds!!!!!!

Post by vanilla »

Try and get them out when she's eating or sleeping. If you have someone else who can help to hold her, while you groom?
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Wish I knew an infallible answer! I'm still working on Tilly trying to get them out and she hasn't got herself nearly as badly covered. A few at a time seems to be the only way.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I was doing some gardening for a friend today. She has a tunnel pergola with lovely roses and clematis and not so lovely goose grass. I kept getting covered in their sticky buds. My solution, and what we use on the cats too, is a pair of those builder's gloves with the rubbery palms and fingers. You can get them from places like Homebase or any builder's merchants (usually cheaper than Homebase).

They work really well and with the cats you are just stroking them not brushing. :D
DollyB
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by DollyB »

Thank you vanilla, I had a go when she was eating, clever how they can eat and growl at the same time :D did get a few though.

Yes Alan I think a few at a time will be the answer. We have just had a big fuss and managed to get loads off her back and chest but thought I better stop when I felt teeth!! Don't want to push my luck. She really doesn't like her fur being pulled, hates being brushed but loves fuss and cuddles. Just the belly, sides and tail now. Luckily she loves a belly rub, not looking forward to the tail though!

Fingers seem to be the best tool for the job, finding a bud and gently pulling the hair off it but only when she allows!
DollyB
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by DollyB »

Ooooo Bobbys Girl I have a red glove groomer thingy somewhere, I'd forgotten about that. I'll dig it out, from what I can remember they all liked it.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

My cats are limited to a 10ft by 30ft enclosure, and although I let that bit run pretty much wild, I do conscientiously pull up any goose grass I see, hopefully before it seeds. If I find a mat in Ria's long coat, there's usually a core of some sort of garden debris that caused it. I just use a clipper to take out any lumps, and I've got her used to that, so she doesn't mind. But I can see it's much more of a problem with a cat that's really covered in mats, not just the odd one.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

DollyB wrote:Thank you vanilla, I had a go when she was eating, clever how they can eat and growl at the same time :D did get a few though.

Yes Alan I think a few at a time will be the answer. We have just had a big fuss and managed to get loads off her back and chest but thought I better stop when I felt teeth!! Don't want to push my luck. She really doesn't like her fur being pulled, hates being brushed but loves fuss and cuddles. Just the belly, sides and tail now. Luckily she loves a belly rub, not looking forward to the tail though!

Fingers seem to be the best tool for the job, finding a bud and gently pulling the hair off it but only when she allows!
If it's not too close to her skin you can snip it off with some scissors. Cutting a bit of her fur rather than pulling at it. :)
PeanutandFriendsJill
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutandFriendsJill »

I used a battery powered clippers on mine. She liked the purry vibratey thing, it didn't pull and it was fast. Yet growing back the hair was tricky. When she was old, it never came back...old cats. They have so much going on in their bodies.
Wonder if a wet paper towel would take off some your sticky buds.
DollyB
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by DollyB »

Thank you everyone for your advice. We are now down to the last few. Gently teasing them out when she's sleepy seems to be the way to go. Maybe she's learnt a lesson and won't go rolling in them again......but then probably not. :D
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

She'll wait till you get them all out, then she'll go and roll in loads again! :lol: :lol:
Hannahbelle
New Cat Chatter

Post by Hannahbelle »

All of the above is good advice, I’ve also tried putting olive oil onto the ones in the most sensitive areas, and I’m going to see if this helps my cat remove them herself. I’ll let you know how it goes! She’s certainly paying more attention to those areas already so hopefully they will slide out more easily :)