Tails of the radioactive cat (or Mouse.) Radio-iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Tails of the radioactive cat (or Mouse.) Radio-iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism

Post by Lilith »

This is very self-indulgent but must just update - just had a call from the centre; she's eating really well and also running to fuss and greet the nurses and enjoy strokes - my scared Mouse! So she must be feeling very well and confident in herself; I'm so happy :D
Oddcat
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Tails of the radioactive cat (or Mouse.) Radio-iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism

Post by Oddcat »

Hi! I've been following Mouse's thread, and whilst I've got no experience of hyperthyroidism and so have nothing useful to add, I just wanted to say how thrilled I am to hear how well Mouse is doing :D

It certainly sounds like she's feeling really well and comfortable. Me and the furry crew are sending our positive vibes ... to you and Mouse, you must be looking forward to getting her home.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Very pleased to hear that, Lilith.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Aww, that's great news
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

That's great news Lilith - hope she's just as congenial with you as she's with the nurse ie no payback!! :lol: Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi guys and thanks for all the kind words; much appreciated :D

Latest update, she's bright-eyed, bushy tailed and thriving on the attention. I feel far less guilty now at sending her away.

I don't think it's from her that I'm going to get the 'black paw' though, Vivian; I fear Molly has come to think that she's top upstairs cat; she's the kind of cat who, although joining a multi-cat household as a junior, would like me all to herself. It may be a good thing that Mouse has to stay in purrdah for 2 weeks, so as to give Miss Molly a chance to get used to her return :roll: :)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Glad to hear Mouse is doing well - thought she would be far less worried than you were! Some cats just seem to be able to turn on the charm for the vets - Tilly does just the same.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Lilith,
Glad to read that Mouse is having a great time at the clinic, probably she will be the favourite patient of all :D

We're home! Pallina is already home.
I have just updated my thread. We arrived home at 9:45 pm, exactly 12 hours after we left from Ghent.

Pallina is a bit confused and seems in a place she doesn't know. She doesn't want to eat, only drink...

Hugs to you and Mouse ;)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww that's so great that Pallina is home :D

Yes, it'll take her a while to get her bearings - hope she's eating by now.

Mouse is going on just as well, I'm happy to say. She's a bit quieter, Alan than she was, but this is a different nurse doing the weekend shift - perhaps Mousey will be running to greet her tomorrow - I'm so glad she's being so adaptable because she's always been such a timid lass. She'll have another blood test next week, and then home :)

Hugs and congrats on getting the worst over, Antonio, to you and Pallina from Mouse and me :D
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Trigger's reaction when he found himself back home after 16 days at the veterinary centre is my very favourite memory of him - he was positively ecstatic and took absolutely no notice of Tiffany's half-hearted hisses at him, so she soon gave up

he'd been pleased to see me when I collected him, but fondness for me was nothing compared to his love of his home - which is how it should be

I do hope Mouse is the same
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

I can understand how hard it is to have a pet away from home for such a long time.
The only relief is that she's being treated like a princess and the staff is caring and friendly.
Two weeks is a long time, though. Hang on there, it'll soon be over!

Hugs and prayers for you and Mouse!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks Kay and Antonio :D

Hey Kay, did you and Trigger go to the Wetherby Centre too? Sorry - my brain has scrambled over the past few weeks and not everything has sunk in. I take it he had the run of the house on his arrival then and didn't have to be isolated?

Mousey is still doing well, eating well, I'm hoping she's starting to put on weight again. They said one owner brought in her cat - but she was pregnant so had to board him for the full six weeks. When she arrived to collect him she didn't recognise him, as he'd put on a kilo. I wondered if the cat recognised the owner behind the growing bulge ... :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Update - she's doing very well, tests turning out well and I collect her Friday morning :D

Putting last minute touches to 'purrdah' tomorrow :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Great news
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Excellent news - it really is a great treatment for cats which are up to it

I live in West Wales , Lilith, and used a centre in Wooton-under-Bassett in Gloucestershire - there are no facilities in Wales

And yes, there were no restrictions on Trigger in the house or enclosed garden, though as he wasn't a cuddle cat I may have passed over any advice about avoiding close contact
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Wow, great news, Lilith!
Friday morning is 36 hours away!!!

Pallina is still doing great, but I am not observing the rules strictly. They said to limit the contacts and wash hands after touching her, but should I wash my hands every time I would be living in the bathroom :D

More, she rubs against my legs, so I should shower thirty times a day...
It's impossible.
The only thing I am observing is the precautions during litter scooping. Disposable gloves and different bin. That's all.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks for the kind words guys :D

This time tomorrow she'll be home :D

They're going to write down the precise dates as to when she can come out of purrdah etc, all depends on her levels.

Glad Pallina's doing so well Antonio, makes me wonder if a cat is clingy, does it slow up the recovery time to keep it isolated? At least Mouse does sit in that room from choice and I can go in there and be with her, but will know more tomorrow :)
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Today's the day! :D
We look forward to reading news from Mouse!
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Any news? :?:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi guys and thanks Antonio and sorry for the late reply - everything's been all a blur but basically Mouse is CURED :D

They're very pleased with her - she need only stay in isolation a week :D but mustn't go out for two weeks after that - but the garden's secure anyway and she rarely comes downstairs.

I felt awful about shutting her into her room and the little horror did her best to escape - what was I doing to her, shutting her up in PRISON?

I gave her an hour or so to get her breath back (I'd given her some fuss of course) and then went back in with a nice bowl of Felix and tuna - lots of tuna, thought it would tempt her back if she got out. No Mouse. Not a sign.

I waited a bit longer and couldn't bear it anyway, and returned - and saw a bright eye looking out at me from behind the big old-fashioned desk in there. 'You little devil,' I said. 'Well you'll come out when you're ready.'

It's awful leaving her in there - but, that's where we are at the moment.

But - there is now, again, a Mouse in the house :D

Lots of fuss to Pallina - ciao and miaow for now! :D
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Well, good news it seems!
Mouse will have to adapt to this new situation, but two weeks go by quick. Look at me, one week is gone already ;)

How are you managing the handling of Mouse and cuddling and all other things like this?

A big kiss to Mouse, she deserves it, she's been brave!!! :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

That's great news
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Lilith fab news! So glad Mouse is back home. Vivian
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Thanks guys :D

Sorry for the late reply but Mousey and I have been crashed out. She's doing really well now, still hiding unfortunately but I've given her her carrying case and 2 boxes lined with scentless puppy pads and I wonder if she dislikes them - I'll dig out a few old blankets and put those in, see if I can tempt her.

She's started to eat very well - and use her tray. In fact she's just started bawling for chambermaid service, the only time she does cry, so must go in a moment (well you wouldn't like sitting in a room next to a bog you couldn't flush, would you?)

It's taking a bit of getting used to, the rubber glove routine - I've bought one pair for doing the tray and another for the dishes. With wet food I've been lucky enough to have a small earthenware water bowl that the disposable dish fits into, so she can't push it across the room.

Antonio, I stroke her back when she comes out and I can see she wants her head stroked and to give me toothy kisses, but sadly she can't just at the moment. Luckily she's not a one for being picked up, though I want to, and to give her 2 weeks of kisses and cuddles...I will pass on your kiss once it's safe - and big kisses and purrs from Mouse and me to Pallina, hope she's doing well x
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Lilith, it sounds like Mouse has adapted to a luxury lifestyle and wants room service at the push of a bell :D

I am still using the same bowls as usual, her own bowls. They told me nothing about disposable dishes.
And I am washing them bare hands under the tap. They are steel bowls.
For the litter I wear a glove only on the hand which holds the scoop, I throw the clumps and the... rest into a small bin with a plastic bag outside the house, then at the end of cleaning I throw the glove inside the bin and every second day I dispose of this bag into a larger bin at the back of the house.

Pallina lives with us as her usual, she sleeps in so many places (never with us), onto the kitchen chairs too, I should throw them outside according to the guidelines. I have chosen not to be that strict.
After all the doctor at the clinic told me that these measures are just to be super safe, and probably disregarding some of them shouldn't be that harmful.

I couldn't do differently, or I would upset Pallina's habits, she's very sensible and has a routine life, she could end up with not eating anymore... It's a matter of choosing the lesser harm.

So far she's rather fine. She is eating less in the last two days. I am still trying to understand if it's the hot weather or she has some stomach issues. I have some Ranitidine syringes ready in my fridge.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I think she has, Antonio - they soon learn don't they? :lol:

She came home with a big sackful of flushable litter and I was using flushable upstairs anyway, so that makes one job easier. It was fascinating at the centre - Andrew (vet) demonstrated with a geiger counter; close up to Mouse it was clicking away like mad. But I can see your dilemma - Pallina's had to go through so much in that year when you were refused the referral that letting her get back to her normal life and to feel reassured is paramount. Although Mouse is affectionate she's not clingy; having been part of a multi-cat household all her life she's not totally focused on me and has always done her own thing; she started out life as a feral and had her mother with her until she was 6 (Tess, her mother, was killed on the road :cry: )

Just as long as you don't start glowing in the dark! :lol:

As always best wishes to you and Pallina :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ooops she gave me a wet nuzzle on my bare ankle last night :shock: I washed it straight away but it hasn't started glowing green ... yet... Just better not go too near any geiger counters ... :o :lol:
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

That's what I mean.
Pallina loves to rubs her wet nose on me, she rubs her face on my hands or on my legs, actually she rubs on me quite a lot.
Right now I'm sitting on the front edge of my chair because she's curled on it behind me, sleeping, and to be a little more reassured, she's hugging my left side with one of her front paws :)
Should I deny her these little moments it would be cruel. Yes, she has been through a lot, she needs to feel in a safe and known environment. When I had Lola, the cat who went to the Rainbow Bridge in March, Pallina was feeling a second class cat, she was always healthy and fine, Lola had several issues, so I was naturally following Lola more. Now that Pallina is the only cat in the house she feels like upgraded to a princess level and don't want to miss a single moment with me.
Of course I do not allow her to do the same things with my wife, I'd rather keep Pallina away from her.

At the clinic they do not show me any geiger counter but they told me that Pallina was checked a few minutes earlier and she was way below the safety level of radiation, so I think that halfway through the two weeks warning period, she should be almost safe to handle ;)

My virtual kisses to Mousey ;)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aww thankyou from Mousey, she says she's very pleased to get some kisses :D since I don't give her any :( Roll on Friday when I can at least let her out (though she'll still have to spend the night in her room for a while.)

I'm gathering together odd questions that I may have to ask the centre but on the whole everything's going pretty well, more smoothly than I'd anticipated. The only thing I wish I'd got is some disposable forks or teaspoons as I use one bowl per 24 hours, but luckily the food I'm giving her doesn't have to be mashed, so no cutlery to be washed.

I haven't had to give her the Zylkene as she's only cried a bit, hasn't got herself into a state.

I believe I did ask about sharing food bowls with the other cats when she came out but I believe they said that wasn't a problem. Might be a good idea to check up on that though. They've gone through aftercare with me of course and I've got a brochure to refer to.

She has to have a check-up and I'm assuming a blood test at my vet's on 1 Sept - I assume they'll know what precautions they have to take, will mention it though. As long as I don't get any intrusion in the waiting room, which has a large section and a smaller cubicle. One time I was there with her the waiting room was completely empty except for Mousey and I who'd sat in the cubicle and a couple at the desk with a dog that seemed to be half Dane, half Shire horse and half Irish wolfhound. Or could it have been half lurcher, half springer? The type of dog that plunges about madly, completely ignoring the owners' feeble protests. Anyway, they came straight over and tipped the animal on top of Mousey and me in the damn cubicle! I mean, why? I was mad, and poor Mouse was terrified. She was panting with fear afterwards. I'm not good at talking to people and I didn't want to start a brawl so I just got up and walked into the main area. But if that happened again I think I'd take great pleasure in saying, if I could manage to get the words out, this cat is RADIOACTIVE! Grrrr! :twisted: :lol:
Last edited by Lilith on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Glad to hear Mouse is doing well.
Some dog owners can be a pain. Our vets old waiting room used to be quite stressful for cats. One of the great advantages of their new hospital is that the waiting room is big enough for separate cat and dog waiting areas. Surprising how many owners don't notice, though. I always warn owners of boisterous dogs that Tilly will give their dogs a swipe round the nose if they try anything!