Behavior issues after moving (now indoor only): restlessness, biting

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
al-leo
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Behavior issues after moving (now indoor only): restlessness, biting

Post by al-leo »

Hello, I live in the Midwest and own three black cats. My youngest, Mort, is the problem child. We recently moved and can no longer safely let them roam outside at our new apartment. Mort is harness trained and behaves very well on the leash for a young guy (2.5 years old, neutered, harness trained as a kitten), but when it's time to go back inside he lights me up. I rough-house with them a bit during play-time but this is different, he is clearly trying to harm me because he knows that fun time is over; he is baiting me into letting him free to end the attack. He ends up curled around my arm, biting deep and rending. This behavior is present regardless of the length of the walk (anywhere between 5-45 minutes). It is often preceded by growling and obvious restlessness--he stands very tense and alert at the edge of the lead. When I have to pick him up due to external issues on our walks (loose dog, loud/big truck) he permits me to handle him and enjoys the security of being held, so it's only when he senses the end of our walks this aggression occurs (and admittedly to a lesser degree when I redirect him away from inaccessible areas). When we first moved I didn't allow him outside at all for about 2 weeks, then introduced the harness walks. We have access to a park area and there's not much traffic so the space is good for these outings. Been trying the walks for about two weeks now, with progressing levels of casual body armor for myself. His restlessness has honestly gotten worse since we started the walks, I believe because he doesn't understand the new limits to his freedom (they used to have full access to woods as a backyard). Constant scratching at the window/ front door (featured in avatar), increased attentiveness/restless body language on the walks, searching for a "way out" through cabinets, bullying the other cats, etc. Two days ago he bolted through the open door and I'm lucky to have him back (he's a good boy and came to us ^.^). I keep the spray bottle by the door and use it to discourage him from bolting/excessive curiosity. I don't know if I'll ever let them roam freely again, but it seems a shame to neglect his prowess with the leash and harness. He walks very normally in it, no slinking or uncomfortable posture like I see some harnessed cats exhibit. They do eat high quality food and I play/interact with them quite a bit so I doubt this is related to any lower-level body system or daily care issue. I'm looking for ideas about things to try on these walks, or any opinions about whether the walks cause more harm than good.

My plans for attempting to continue the walks (been keeping him in while I brainstorm) include buying leather bite-proof gloves to cover up to my elbows, won't need them except during the final stage of the walks hopefully. I've used a variety of harnesses but our favorite so far seems to be a thicker Y-shaped vest-type harness with a single clip in the back. I am concerned that he could eventually slip any harness with a single or double clip, and am interested in trying ones that feature a full cloth body with multiple clasps. We've had a couple instances of "bucking" when he gets overwhelmed; he switches directions and pulls with his back away from me and moves in a more...feral way. He's pretty easily calmed unless it's The End of the walk. Escape proof harness recommendations? I will never tether him in it, only the leash at arm's length. I want to note also that I feed him a "treat" immediately after every outing, no matter how violent (it kinda breaks the scene and I want coming home to be pleasant for him), and then I wash my wounds T.T

Thanks for reading.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Behavior issues after moving (now indoor only): restlessness, biting

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. It sounds like your lad is really upset at having to stay in when he’s been used to going out and wants his freedom, it also sounds like you’re doing all you can to try and help him, but he doesn’t sound too happy I’m afraid. I currently have a cat who lived quite near us, but on a main road and was therefore kept indoors, and she escaped a couple of times (once for 6 months), and she ended up with us each time, in the end the owners unselfishly gave her over to us and I can’t imagine her being kept indoors. I hate to say this but it sounds like your little love may be unhappy at the change, despite the harness, and that’s why he bolted. I don’t really know what to advise if he can’t settle other than rehome (although I’m sure that’s the last thing you’d want to do). I hope that you can sort it and do the best thing for your little one.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Behavior issues after moving (now indoor only): restlessness, biting

Post by MarySkater »

Sorry you haven't had more response to your interesting, if difficult, problem. But I don't think there are many people on this forum who walk cats on a leash, so you may already know more about it than anyone else here. If you think your cat is really unhappy, then as Janey said, maybe you should at least consider rehoming him to somewhere where he can go out. You said you've been keeping him in while you think about the problem - does he seem to be settling down to this? Maybe you can accustom him to being indoor-only, especially if you can be creative with things like toys, climbing frames and indoor-grown grass. The only other thought I had is, only walk him immediately before a meal is due, so he is actually hungry, and when you come home you can offer him a full meal rather than a treat. But I realise this might upset your feeding routine with the other cats.

Good luck.