Is my older kitten going to hurt my younger kittens?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
allyjoyrdz
New Cat Chatter

Is my older kitten going to hurt my younger kittens?

Post by allyjoyrdz »

I have a 5 month old unneutered male kitten named Keanu. We adopted him when he was roughly 4 months old. Last week, we rescued 2 sibling kittens who were abandoned on the side of the road, a boy & a girl about 6-7 weeks old. We introduced them slowly, letting Keanu sniff the kittens through a kennel and kept them separate for about a day. The first introductions went as expected, Keanu was a little weary of the kittens but pretty much ignored them and they ignored him. They all have separate litter boxes & food and water dishes. About 3 days ago Keanu started to take interest in the kittens, and started sniffing them while they are laying or eating. But as soon as they start to walk, he chases, pins down, bites their necks and kicks them with his hind legs. He is about double their size. The kittens run away from him when he chases, and they cry when he grabs them, and Keanu does not relent. He doesn't pick on one or the other it's both, whichever he can get to first. We have separated them, putting them in different rooms, I've scolded Keanu "no" when he does this. When they are separated, Keanu cries and meows at the door where the kittens are, but as soon as I let the kittens out, he pounces at them and pins them again. We do plan on getting him neutered soon. Is this a dominance thing? Will he relent once we get him nuetured? Will he ever accept them? Will he end up hurting my kittens if I ever leave them alone together? Any advice that can help out this situation is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much in advance for your answers.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Is my older kitten going to hurt my younger kittens?

Post by Lilith »

Ooooh, is old Keanu going to get his comeuppance when those kittens are older and bigger and can gang up on HIM!

(Welcome to the forum by the way :) )

But for now he obviously sees them as handy toys or even prey, bad lad. I used to breed Siamese and one day an older boy got into the 'nursery' (silly me, smacks own wrist :oops: ) and I caught him batting a kitten about like a mouse! :shock:

I'd advise getting him neutered asap (sober him up a bit though different vets have different rules about age) and keeping him away from the kittens unless closely supervised, no matter how he pleads. Yes, definitely let him know he's out of order when he does chase or grab. A short while back there was a similar thread to this, where the bigger boy was chasing the small girl - but it was obvious from videos that Madam was flirting with him. This isn't the case here though by the sound.

I feel this is another case of 'time is the remedy' - soon they'll grow up - and duff Keanu up! :lol:

Good luck and love to them all :)