Kitten Fleas

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Edinscott81
New Cat Chatter

Kitten Fleas

Post by Edinscott81 »

I have two kittens, one is 12 weeks old and the other is 8 weeks old

Since bringing the 8 week old kitten home 4 days ago I've had a suspicion that it may be carrying fleas....however i have checked multiple times and haven't been able to find any on her, she is pure white as well so technically should be slightly easier to spot but I can't find anything at all

I also can't find anything on the other kitten and there is nothing in their bedding

Then earlier today something that looked like a flea landed on my arm, but again I still can't find anything on the cats

It seems unlikely that there is only one flea but it's the only one I've seen

Should I be able to see fleas on the cats or signs of fleas ?

They have both been flea'd as well
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Kitten Fleas

Post by booktigger »

If they've been de-flead and you can't see any, what makes yiubthink they have them?
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

What makes you thimk that the kitten might have fleas?
One test I once read about spotting fleas on a cat was to take a wet paper tissue and brush the cat's coat in all directions. If there are fleas the tissues would return with reddish stripes or stains because the blood that they have taken from the cat would dissolve with the wet paper.
Edinscott81
New Cat Chatter

Post by Edinscott81 »

Thanks for the replys

Part of the the reason is that something which definitely resembled a flea jumped on me earlier

I had also be suspious that the youngest kitten may have them, she came from a very unhygienic home, she hasn't been flea'd or wormed....her mum (who was only 9 months old) was an outdoor cat as well....and perhaps I'm being judgemental but I've been frequently checking her for fleas since I took her from that home
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Ah. Then it might be as well (after asking for vet's advice) to de-flea her.

But at this time of year there are a lot of tiny buggy things about; even here in an inner-city centre I see them; there was a critter dancing about on the bathroom carpet the other day but when I looked closely it wasn't a flea, so left it ... just hope it or its offspring don't chew the floorboards ... :lol:

I think if you do have fleas you know - damn things are everywhere, once had larvae waggling at me out of the chair throw :shock:

But do hope you haven't got them, all the best (oh and welcome to the forum :) )