Coughing

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
BabyBerlioz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Coughing

Post by BabyBerlioz »

Is it normal for a cat to have a wee cough every so often? Once in a while Berlioz has a wee coughing fit. He never produces a hairball, although he is a long hair perpetual groomer so I give him hairball remedy once in a while and he does pass hair out the other way :D Just wondering if the cough should be addressed by a vet? I have managed to video him doing it, but I don't know if I am able to add it onto this forum.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Coughing

Post by Janey »

One of my cats suffered with sinus problems and a bit of a chesty cough on and off. I videoed him with my phone and took it to the vets to show them because every time I took him to the vets he never coughed! It’s worth doing that if you have a video.
BabyBerlioz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by BabyBerlioz »

Thanks Janey,

I probably will as I would like to just rule out asthma.
LittlePenBigHeart
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by LittlePenBigHeart »

It is pretty common, yes. They can get a little bit of fluff or hair or something else they've accidentally hoovered up caught in the back of their throats and that can make them cough without actually bringing anything up.

However, as you say, it's a good idea to take your cat to the vet anyway, just to be on the safe side.
HarryAzhar

Post by HarryAzhar »

I advice you to see the Vet. Actually, Treatment depends on what’s causing the cough. Options include cough suppressants, antibiotics, steroids or other drugs, and even surgery. Asthma can’t be cured in pets or people, but you can manage it. Your vet will talk to you about lifestyle changes and medications.

Don’t treat your pet without talking to a vet. The treatment for one kind of cough could end up making another type worse. Work with your vet to find the best option.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Yes, I agree, if in any doubt - vet.

But - this may sound rather far fetched, but I've noticed a certain mannerism with Siamese cats, and even cats with only a bit of Siamese blood. When they cough, they go into Sarah Bernhardt mode! Outstretched neck, wheezing ... quite a performance ... and, honestly, not a thing wrong with them. As a breeder friend used to say, they bring it up from their boots!

I even found a video which is not 'funny' but this is what they do -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlm_kRj8d3Y

Berlioz is a pedigree crossbred isn't he, has he some ragdoll in him (so maybe some Siamese way back?)

When my ginger tom Finn arrived, I took note of his cheekbones, his temperament and his stringy tail, and when one day he coughed, I thought, you've got 'Meez in you all right, lad! He lived to a ripe old age.

Good luck with your lad :)
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Coughing might also be heart related. Ask your vet to check his heart too.
Giniranroc
New Cat Chatter

Post by Giniranroc »

Allergies could be an issue too. My Ryfe, a gray domestic shorthair, has had slight allergies his whole life, and a few years ago went into a full asthma attack, which presented as him trying to pass a hairball (something he's never struggled with :mrgreen: ) Our vet treated him successfully with steroids, but he does still cough sometimes.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Interesting you should note that about Siamese - my Siamese used to cough just like that. She did have sinus issues - narrow nasal cavities, I suspect. I remember being told worms can cause coughing, but that may be less prevalent now. It is one of those things I count - one coughing session with no other symptoms and no obvious cause I note; two I start watching; three and I consider a visit to the vet.