Potential Food Allergy?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Sophie77
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Potential Food Allergy?

Post by Sophie77 »

Hi All!

Just after some info/advice from anyone who has a cat with a food allergy. On and off since I got Poppy last year she's had a small lesion on the underside of her neck. She causes it herself by repeated scratching and the vet gives her steroids and I put isaderm on it and it clears up within a week or two. There's normally 4-5months in between flare ups so it's not been a massive issue but last night the vet (a new vet and I'm not certain I like her currently) said it's a food allergy and I need to look into an exclusion diet. I rarely change Poppy's food and she always has the same few flavours in circulation so I would think this lesion/scratching would occur much more frequently if it was her food as she eats it every single day.

However I am going to do a bit of reading into prescription food but I wanted some people's opinions on whether or not this could be a food related issue. I don't think the vet listened to me at all when I was explaining Poppy's eating habits. She also contradicted herself a few times so I'm taking what she's said with a pinch of salt right now.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I should add that collar irritation has already been ruled out.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Potential Food Allergy?

Post by Janey »

Hi, well I don’t know about the food allergy but I have a cat who is exactly the same. She’s treated monthly with Advocate for flea allergy dermatitis but still gets this itchy rash around her neck area which bleeds, sounds like in the same area as your cat. I took her to the vet recently wondering whether the flea treatment wasn’t working too well. The vet said it’s likely to be another type of insect if she hunts (which she does) or even pollen as they inhale it can come out through the skin. But I wondered about food myself. The vet gave me the Isoderm cream which I’ve started using and it cleared it up, but she’s still scratching so I’m having to use it on and off. If it is allergies it can be a nightmare to fathom out though. PS I also removed her collar wondering whether that was the cause but it’s not helped so I can rule that out too.