Worming tablets and behaviour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Worming tablets and behaviour

Post by Red wine lady »

Hello All

I'm asking for help again, backstory...we have had a 6 year old indoor rescue cat for 8 weeks, his previous owner got rid when she had baby. Oscar is a gorgeous large boy who the vet says is a little over weight ( 6.2 kgs!), who loves his food. It has taken us weeks to build up trust and for him to settle in.

The vet gave me some worming tablets and I attempted to administer last night. I managed to get an 1/8 down him into treat which he ate...and put the rest mashed up in his wet food. Well that was my fatal error and Oscar was not having any of it...he refused to eat his food.

Well I caved in and opened a new pouch without worming tablets and he still refused...I've give him some dry food today (without worming tablets) and he ate some but not a lot. Tonight I've put down his favourite turkey in jelly ...and he has turned his nose up!

He is now camping out under the Dinning room table, probably trying to work out ways to kill us in our sleep!!!

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong and tell me what to do. This cat marlarky is harder than you think

Many thanks xxxx
Last edited by Red wine lady on Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Worming tablets and behaviour

Post by Lilith »

Hi, you're not doing anything wrong at all - we've all been there done that ... cats! :twisted:

Personally I'd chicken out and use that stuff that you put on the back of their neck. You can only get it from the vet and it's a bit pricey, but doesn't half save wear and tear on the nerves.

Some people on here though swear by pillpockets - hopefully someone can give more info soon.

Good luck and please give him a fuss from me, bless him! :D
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Thanks for your reply...I will have look at he pill pockets first.

Do I Keep putting food down? I'm not sure why he is refusing to eat the food when it's got nothing 'drug wise' in it.

Little man looks angelic but he was probably a serial killer in a previous life...but I adore him!
Attachments
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (34.43 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol - you've got a right one there!

What a character, and what a handsome lad! I see what you mean.

Good luck with the worming! :)
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Lilith wrote:Lol - you've got a right one there!

What a character, and what a handsome lad! I see what you mean.

Good luck with the worming! :)
Right back at you...your little man (I hope) looks adorable x

Well the good news is Oscar has scoffed his dry and wet food...must start his diet regime tomorrow,

Thank you x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Lol thanks :D - she's a girl. I thought she was a boy too when I first met her - until she began to bulge (she was feral.) She's a right one too - 16 now and a bossyboots :D

Hey glad he took his meds and good luck with the diet.

How could that woman have parted with a gorgeous hunk like him - but her loss is your gain :D