13yr old house cat started attacking her tail!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Scotslass
New Cat Chatter

13yr old house cat started attacking her tail!

Post by Scotslass »

Hello everyone. First time here. Just looking for advice. My 13yr old female house cat Petal has started attacking her tail! It started off with her "flicking" the end of it, while she was sitting and trying to stop it with her paw! Its now progressed to sinking her teeth into it, holding it and screaming while going around in circles! I've checked her for fleas, none, no lumps on her tail, although she had a small scab from her teeth going in! She's full of life for her age. I'm just wondering if it is in fact an age related thing? Although it sounds funny and it is at times, am worried in case she hurts herself. Thanks all
Helen
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 13yr old house cat started attacking her tail!

Post by Kay »

I've never come across this behaviour myself, but a quick Google suggests it is not uncommon, and seems to occur more in females than males

three possible causes are put forward here https://www.justanswer.com/pet-cat/6smr ... meone.html

other sites suggest if no physical cause is found then calming remedies may be the way to go - Feliway, RC Calm (if she eats dry food), Zyklene etc