Swollen stomach

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jinx
New Cat Chatter

Swollen stomach

Post by Jinx »

Hi
I am after some advice... opinions... reassurance...
My 13yo male cat has a very hard and swollen stomach. Friday before last he was 'normal' before I went to work, I got home and he looked like a pregnant cat!
I wormed him, just in case, but ended up taking him to the vet after a couple of days as his stomach was still swollen and he had become quite quiet.
He has had blood tests (signalling kidney disease), a heart scan (came back clear), fluid taken from his belly (again, clear) and a urine test (which showed the kidneys to be not as bad as they thought).
They put him on diuretics, which he was on for just over a week but the last couple of days he has refused them.
He is very quiet, isn't moving much and is not himself at all!

The vets still don't know what is wrong with him. They suggest a mass, but cannot see on a scan as there is too much fluid. So they have suggested I consider putting him to sleep. Those were her words, which I found quite blunt.

After any advice.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Swollen stomach

Post by booktigger »

Could you get a second opinion?
Jinx
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jinx »

That is what I am going to do, I am waiting on a phone call.

It's heart breaking, I have had him since he was about 7 weeks old. I just wish they could tell me what was wrong so that I could make an informed decision.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Putting a cat to sleep only because a vet can't understand and determine the ailment is absolutely nonsense!!! :twisted:
Forgive my rude expression, but I've been there before. Last year in April my cat had a disease that nobody could understand and diagnose, so one of the vet came up with the idea that it was time to put her down.
I am stubborn indeed and kept looking further opinions until some weeks later I found a good vet who understood what it was and my cat was treated and lived one more year. She eventually died from a different problem.

If the scan you talk about is the ultrasound scan, well maybe they're right. Too much fluids might interfere with the scan. But if you can afford it have a CT scan done, it's the best in finding something hidden.

I had a cat who developed a swollen belly and became queit and lethargic, but he was feverish too. The diagnosis was FIP, but you say that the fluid in your cat's abdomen came back clear, so this could ruled out.

I hope you find a good doctor for your beautiful cat!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

My cat was on diueritics recently, we used a liquid version which was a lot easier to administer
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Jinx agree with Antonio. Hope 2nd opinion is a lot more conclusive & empathetic!! Fusses to your fur babe so heart wrenching when you just don't know. Vivian