Wanderer returning to old home

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Angiekw76
Returning Cat Chatter

Wanderer returning to old home

Post by Angiekw76 »

Hiya, just hoping someone can advise me on the best course of action for my cat Herbie. We moved house 6 weeks ago (new house is probably just over half a mile from our old house as the crow flies) I kept him in for three weeks and he spent his first week of freedom staying close to home and returning on a regular basis. Then all of a sudden, it's like he must have wandered a bit further and got a sniff of his old roaming ground. He has been going to my old neighbours house about three times a week since then and each time, she doesn't feed him and alerts me to his visit. I've been going to pick him up in the car...my question is, do I let him come home himself? Will he ever come home by himself? He's got me demented! When he's not returning to the old house, he will go out from the new house and come home after a quick wee or after a bit of fresh air but it just seems to be when he gets his wandering head on, he just wanders into his old territory. Help! X
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Wanderer returning to old home

Post by Antonio »

I think that now that he's learned the way to his old home he will keep returning there, regadless the time passing by and the efforts you pour in it.
I would not encourage this attitude, neither would I hope he will return back to the new home on his own.
In addition, I would consider the risks of the road.
Angiekw76
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Angiekw76 »

Hi Antonio
Thanks for your reply. It's been suggested to me them I should keep him indoors for an extended period to allow him to become more attached to the new house. What are your thoughts?
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by elastu »

If the little one was mine I would certainly try again and keep him in perhaps for a couple of months. However, if there are roads he crosses to get back to your old home I would consider keeping him in as an indoor cat. They usually settle down remarkably well. You just have to remember you are the adult and know the implications of letting the little one out and your cat has no idea,
Angiekw76
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Angiekw76 »

Aw thanks for you advice. I have to say the possibility of making him an indoor cat has definitely crossed my mind. He is very outdoorsy though so not sure how easy it would be. I think for now, I'm gonna keep him in likevyou say, for an extended period and see what happens. He's got a little sister who's just gone 6 months who hasn't started going out yet so he's got plenty of entertainment!

Thanks so much for your help
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Have you considered making your garden catproof, if that's possible? That way he could go out, but not roam. A number of people on here have done it and could offer advice. Some ideas are shown on this website.....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cat+p ... 58&bih=551
Angiekw76
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Angiekw76 »

Hi Alice,
Ooo I'll have a look at that link. Thank you x
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

You could try keep him indoors for some months, it should easier now that the cold is coming.
How long it will take to settle him as an indoor cat is hard to say. Some cats need a couple of months, others never settle, others settle rather fine but as soon as they get the taste of an outdoor adventure they forget the months spent indoors.

The idea of making your garden catproof is great. If you can do that it could be the greatest solution of all.
I made something similar for my cat.
She arrived to my home as a feral, she was kept indoors for months, but when she was free to roam again she walked long distances and stayed away for hours. So I trained her on the leash in our garden and she got used to that in a few months, though I kept keeping her on the leash for years.
Last year I started leaving her outside without leash and she didn't go too far, she stayed within the borders she had learned with the leash.
This year, though, she gained a higher confidence and started exploring beyond the borders, but only when I wasn't looking. She was astute! :D
I put nets all around the garden and closed every passage, even the tiniest. Now I can leave her outside for an hour and be sure to still find her there. She's rather old, though, she can't jump very high so I'm taking advantage of this and didn't need to set a very high net.

If you make your garden catproof, be very alert in the first days, because your cat will spend most of his time looking for every possible fault in the "prison". And if there's a the slightest possibility of a fault he will find it.
The first days will be of assessment for him and adjustment for you :D
Angiekw76
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Angiekw76 »

:D Aw thank you all so much for all of the advice. I really appreciate it. Lots to think about. I've got him indoors for now. He's in a bit of a mood about it but playing with his little sister and eating well (a bit too well to be honest!) thanks again. I'll let you all know how we get on. I'll definitely consider the cat proofing though :D
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

Like everyone else has mentioned, keep him indoors for a while. Not sure if he has been castrated. They don't roam so far when they've had the chop :D