Kitten ill after vacs

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Willow253
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Kitten ill after vacs

Post by Willow253 »

Hi..looking for help.
Sorry for long post...new member so sorry if this has previously been covered.
This is what's happened so far....
Brought our kitten home on 24th August...she was 8 weeks but very small as she was the runt of the litter...she was very lively tho & playful. She was eating well & we fed her 5 times a day (small portions) on Lily's kitchen kitten food wet mixed with a little of the dried.
She had her first vacs & wormed on the 4th Sept.. She was fine but the next day had a bad limp...we took her the vets who gave her painkiller. She was fine again the next day...playing, eating & generally full of fun. By Saturday 9th Sept my daughter noticed she wasn't as playful & we put it down to getting her vacs. By Monday she had stopped eating completely so we took her back to the vets... She got some antibiotics....there was no improvement so the next day (Tuesday 12th) we took her back as she was loosing weight....she was kept in overnight & we collected her on Wed 13th @ 5. We were given some special weaning kitten food which we are feeding her every 2 hrs by syringe... She is very reluctant to eat & still just sleeps or sits....she only moves to drink (which she does quite a lot) & wee (she hasn't had a poo yet). We are novice cat owners( she is our first), but experienced dog owners (we have 3 without any health issues). Also before her vacs she weighted 1.5kg she now weights just 500g.
Please can anyone offer us any advice or seen any similar? I think I have covered everything that has happened but please ask any questions if not sure of anything.... Thanks in advance
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Kitten ill after vacs

Post by booktigger »

She needs to see the vet tomorrow, I've never seen a reaction to vaccs last this long
Willow253
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Willow253 »

Thank you for your response....she was back at the vets on Friday as we still weren't happy with her progress & the vet told us to keep doing the same as we are currently doing.... I also called them yesterday & booked in for Monday.... I just don't think the vets really know tbh
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. All my cats over the years have been off it for about 24 after their vaccinations. My current cat had a severe reaction last year and didn’t eat for a week and it was as if she had flu. She was so lethargic and as if her joints were aching her. The vet was going to admit her as she was dehydrated at first, but then started to drink. The vet also gave her an injection of antibiotics and Metacam and put an allergy note on her records. She actually had her vaccination last week but split into two doses this time, so she has the other next week. Touch wood she’s been ok this way. I have to say I’m not a big fan of syringe feeding, I’d rather the vet do that if need be although I believe sometimes it’s advised? I think you need to find out why the kitten won’t eat though, and maybe get a second opinion of your current vet isn’t sorting it out. Has the vet done any test, bloods etc? All the best and do let us know how things go tomorrow.
Willow253
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Willow253 »

Janey....no not done any tests yet...I think they will probs go down that path this week if she hasn't picked up...I just thought it seemed a very long time for her vacs to still be affecting her
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

You are right to be worried. Vaccinations can cause problems for all sorts of reasons. But they don't usually last this long. I agree with Janey, tests as a matter of urgency, failing that, another vet!

Let us know how you go on.

PS I just remembered, when we first got our Purdy she was very small and skinny and was actually losing weight. We tried everything. Then in desperation we gave her some prawns we had left over from a meal. She wolfed them down, started to take an interest in food and never looked back. If your cat is unwell it might not be a good idea. But as she recovers you might try some prawns or Applaws tinned food with prawns. They are quite fattening! Good luck
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Willow some can have a reaction to vacs but usually with 24 hrs. Hope they didn't give C5! Kitten doesnt have flu? If they can't smell they won't eat. Can the vet give you an appetite stimulant? Keep,us posted and lots of fusses to the little un from me & my four misfits. Vivian
Willow253
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Willow253 »

I am going to the vets now with her.... I am surprised she has made it through the night to be honest...,she is still with us but only just. We are devastated....how has this happened.....she was so heathy the week after we got her.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Keeping my fingers crossed that she pulls through.

No animal should lose 66% of their total weight like that (if I'm reading your figures right). Something is seriously wrong and in my mind the vet should have kept her in over the weekend, but hindsight is a wonderful thing, I just hope she makes it.
Willow253
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Willow253 »

Hi...just to let you all know the lastest.
The vets have kept her in....she isn't pooing & that is the vets biggest concern & She is dehydrated so they're going to put her on a drip and give her something to help her Poo as her bowels are full. The vets have said to give her 24hrs as she has no quality of life....& they think she may have a liver shunt which she was born with & while on mothers milk all is fine but she can't process any kind of solid food. They could operate but are not prepared to on her as she is far to small & weak to survive.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed for her - liver shunts tend to affect males more.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi, I'm so very very sorry to read about your kitten.

Sadly this can happen; young animals appear to be fine but can 'fade' once weaned or approaching adolescence; sometimes it's thought to be a genetic accident, or simply Nature's weeding-out proces;, there's no apparent cause and it can happen with the best of care - but that's very very cold comfort for the animal and for the person caring and emotionally involved. You must be going through hell - and with your first cat too.

I did wonder if she was dehydrated though (although she's been drinking I know) and it can be quite incredible how even a tiny kitten bounces back after rehydration - I do hope that this is the case with your girl and that she has a chance - everything here crossed for her, and you, all the very very best x
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Everything crossed for your poor little girl xx
Willow253
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Willow253 »

Thank you to everyone that helped....Delilah had to be put to sleep...my daughter went to see her after school & I spoke to the vet who said her chances were very slim of pulling through & if she did her quality of life wouldn't be good..... We are all totally heartbroken...RIP Delilah
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So very sorry to hear. Why do these things happen?

Sleep tight little Delilah, how sad you couldn't stay any longer with people who loved you.

Hugs to you all x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, RIP little one
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Poor little Delilah, and poor you.

RIP little girl, at least you knew what it was to be loved and to love back, and you didn't suffer.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi everyone has said what I'd post. My heart goes out to you & your family. When you're feeling stronger & it's feels right, I hope you consider giving another fur babe a loving & caring home. Time is what you need. RIP little Delilah. You were truely loved. Vivian
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

:( I’m so sorry, RIP little Delilah xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I am very sorry to hear that. RIP Delilah. (Hugs) to you and your family. So sad.