Any advice?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jljl59
New Cat Chatter

Any advice?

Post by Jljl59 »

Hi there!

I could use some advice for my cat Bella. She's 10 years old and a female cat. We adopted Bella from the pound right after she was born and she's been a wonderful part of our family over the years. But over the last 2 years her behavior at night has taken a turn for the worse. She will just meow and meow until I call her over and pick her up. She will do this 3 or 4 times during the night and in the morning too. It is for attention because the minute I pick her up she starts purring. I've tried everything under the sun- shut the door to my room she then sits at the door all night banging on it with her paws and meowing. I've tried putting her in other rooms (with food, water, litter and a bed) but she still sits at that door banging and meowing. I've even tried ignoring it as I've seen suggestions that it will help, she will literally just sit there and meows all night. I've talked with my vet and he just says "yeah they can do that". I just don't know what else I can do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Any advice?

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome.

I don't know if I can help much but -

Your girl's a bit young for this, but random miaowing (especially at night) can be a sign of feline dementia and also the onset of deafness. My avatar cat, Emily, is 16 now and has been doing the same thing for a few years now. I've even known her to wake up by my side and start to wash - and suddenly begin to howl. Every time she took her paw out of her mouth she'd yell. It was just as if she didn't know where she was. When I touched her she 'woke up' and became her usual placid self.

She and I have got used to it now. If I'm nearby when she starts I go to her and fuss her; if I'm not I let her be and she lets out maybe 4 or 5 yells and then all's serene again. I leave all the interior doors open for her and she does usually stay downstairs; I have to say she doesn't seem as needy as Bella, but I wonder if Bella is anxious because this is a new thing, and that she will calm down with time?

Oh, almost forgot - if I'm pottering around, Emily DOES nag me - but she always has! If she gets under my feet too much, for both of our sakes, I will put her in another room, for safety. Otherwise, I just nag her back!

There's no cure for dementia as far as I know; Emily is in truth all serene apart from her 'early howling system' - she's in good health, eats well, she's affectionate and cheerful. I think she may be a bit deaf - she doesn't always seem to realise I'm there.

But she's adapted, as they do. We're all used to it now. When she starts I just say 'oh, the baby's woken up.'

I don't know whether it might be a good idea to get Bella checked out by the vet and to test for any sign of deafness; it might put your mind at rest?

Alternatively, have there been any changes in her routine that could cause anxiety/clinginess?

There's a free behavioural service on here - [email protected] which you might like to email.

All the best with her, a big fuss and love to her and other people may have more advice but hope this helps for now :)