Peeing again!!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
BabyBerlioz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Peeing again!!!

Post by BabyBerlioz »

Red wine lady wrote:
BabyBerlioz wrote:Did you replace the diffuser part of the Feliway? It is only good for 3 months I think.
Would you believe they only last a month! Very expensive, however I've now found the refills on zooplus for £14.00 each instead of £26.00 from the vets.

However, I have now found blood in his pee and little crystals (luckily he pee'd under the stairs on a white plastic bag, which made this visible). Off to the vets this afternoon.
I know the liquids only last a month but the actual diffuser part that you plug in, it has to be changed every 3 months . I make a wee dot on the plug with a sharpie every time I start with a new bottle and when I get to 3 dots I throw the plug away and start with a new one.

That aside it sounds like something else is going on, hope you get to the bottom of it.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Ah. Very sorry to hear, poor chap, but I think this could be a turning point - sounds like it's been recurring for a good while, but antibiotics, hopefully, will sort it out. Maybe not overnight but he'll be on the right lines now.

Did you save any of the urine? You might get asked to get a sample from him but as long as he'll use the 'Katkor' non-absorbent crystals in a litter tray this is pretty simple.

Poor old chap, all the best to him, and you too, give him a love from me :)

ps sorry BabyBerlioz at first I duplicated your comment and then my pc seized up while I was trying to put it right, but actually that's a very good way of putting it - getting to the bottom of it :D
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

BabyBerlioz wrote:
Red wine lady wrote:
BabyBerlioz wrote:Did you replace the diffuser part of the Feliway? It is only good for 3 months I think.
Would you believe they only last a month! Very expensive, however I've now found the refills on zooplus for £14.00 each instead of £26.00 from the vets.

However, I have now found blood in his pee and little crystals (luckily he pee'd under the stairs on a white plastic bag, which made this visible). Off to the vets this afternoon.
I know the liquids only last a month but the actual diffuser part that you plug in, it has to be changed every 3 months . I make a wee dot on the plug with a sharpie every time I start with a new bottle and when I get to 3 dots I throw the plug away and start with a new one.

That aside it sounds like something else is going on, hope you get to the bottom of it.
No I never knew that...mine will want chang8ng next month...thank yo7 x
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Lilith wrote:Ah. Very sorry to hear, poor chap, but I think this could be a turning point - sounds like it's been recurring for a good while, but antibiotics, hopefully, will sort it out. Maybe not overnight but he'll be on the right lines now.

Did you save any of the urine? You might get asked to get a sample from him but as long as he'll use the 'Katkor' non-absorbent crystals in a litter tray this is pretty simple.

ps sorry BabyBerlioz at first I duplicated your comment and then my pc seized up while I was trying to put it right, but actually that's a very good way of putting it - getting to the bottom of it :D
My vet thinks it’s cystitis caused by stress, he is on antibiotics and I’ve got to collect a urine sample (the joy of being a cat owner). However I met this lovely cat breeder in the waiting room and I told him my ‘wee’ problem...he suggested I buy protexin cystophan tablets and add them to Oscars food. The breeder said they will help with the stress and stop him peeing. Anyone used these tablets?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Red wine lady wrote:
BabyBerlioz wrote:
Red wine lady wrote:

No I never knew that...mine will want chang8ng next month...thank yo7 x
I am sure it says 6 months on mine
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Red wine lady wrote:
Lilith wrote:Ah. Very sorry to hear, poor chap, but I think this could be a turning point - sounds like it's been recurring for a good while, but antibiotics, hopefully, will sort it out. Maybe not overnight but he'll be on the right lines now.

My vet thinks it’s cystitis caused by stress, he is on antibiotics and I’ve got to collect a urine sample (the joy of being a cat owner). However I met this lovely cat breeder in the waiting room and I told him my ‘wee’ problem...he suggested I buy protexin cystophan tablets and add them to Oscars food. The breeder said they will help with the stress and stop him peeing. Anyone used these tablets?
Stress related doesn't often respond to antibiotics but often respond to cystophan as it soothes the lining of the bladder. It doesn't have to be bought from the vets
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

booktigger wrote:
Red wine lady wrote:

Stress related doesn't often respond to antibiotics but often respond to cystophan as it soothes the lining of the bladder. It doesn't have to be bought from the vets
That’s what the breeder said too! Can I give him cystophan whilst he is on antibiotics? I’ve just ordered some...they were only £8.00
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Yes, they are a glucosamine based supplement. I'm sure vets give ab's so we think they have done something but as obly 2% of cystitis cases are bacterial, I'd rather be given a supplement. Forgive me if you've mentioned it, but what does he eat? What could be stressing him?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

booktigger wrote:Yes, they are a glucosamine based supplement. I'm sure vets give ab's so we think they have done something but as obly 2% of cystitis cases are bacterial, I'd rather be given a supplement. Forgive me if you've mentioned it, but what does he eat? What could be stressing him?
Hey I didn't know that! I'd always thought abs were a frontline treatment in both feline and human cases and I'm lucky not to have encountered feline cystitis caused by stress, but have known of human UTI that came on uncannily after stress!

You live and you learn.

Again best wishes to Oscar, lovely lad!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I know human cystitis can be cleared without antibiotics
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

booktigger wrote:Yes, they are a glucosamine based supplement. I'm sure vets give ab's so we think they have done something but as obly 2% of cystitis cases are bacterial, I'd rather be given a supplement. Forgive me if you've mentioned it, but what does he eat? What could be stressing him?
He is on wet food, whiskeys fish in jelly 7 + (when we got him they said he was 7.5, turned out he was 6.5). We have tried several, but this is his preferred choice at the moment. He also has the new Perfect Fit dried.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Lilith wrote:
Hey I didn't know that! I'd always thought abs were a frontline treatment in both feline and human cases and I'm lucky not to have encountered feline cystitis caused by stress, but have known of human UTI that came on uncannily after stress!

You live and you learn.

Again best wishes to Oscar, lovely lad!
Amazing what you find out..minds of information all of you. Oscar sends his loved
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi hope you've found the cause .. see my post below which I posted last week.

A friend, who's a vet nurse, rehomed a rag doll Chloe who suffered regularly from cystitis which was diagnosed as stress related and put on antianxiety meds which proved successful. Elle puts the meds in Chloe's food & then she's given a Greenies treat when finishing her food.

Keep us posted on Oscar's progress. Poor boy if he's been having stress/ cystitis issues maybe why he's being peeing in inappropriate places. Vivian
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Update...my vet rang today and the urine sample is showing crystals in his urine and he thinks he may have stones?

I am taking him in on Monday night for an ultrasound on Tuesday...we are away Thursday / Friday next week so Oscar is in the cattery later in the week. This will do his stress levels no good! Thank goodness I have pet insurance.

The cystophan tablets seem to be de stressing him though, he is just chilled at the moment. However, I asked the vet about giving him these tablets and he just dismissed them.

Can anyone talk me through what happens from here please.

Xxx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I'm no expert when it comes to kidney ailments, especially modern treatment, but just want to wish you and Oscar all the very best - at least it looks like a physical thing and not a behavioural thing and hopefully means more straightforward treatment. If the cystophan seems to suit him, though, why not just go on using it?

Good luck x
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Lilith wrote:I'm no expert when it comes to kidney ailments, especially modern treatment, but just want to wish you and Oscar all the very best - at least it looks like a physical thing and not a behavioural thing and hopefully means more straightforward treatment. If the cystophan seems to suit him, though, why not just go on using it?

Good luck x
Your very kind...as well as incrediblely helpful xx

I am keeping him on cyshophan, the change is fantastic. We went out last night and no pee behind the Tv! I’m certain all this is to do with stress...his last owners move, then rescue and then his move to us. Obviously it has caused physical problems now, which we will sort but it’s all about removing the stress in the long run.

Sorry to bore you all...hopefully someone else may get answers from this thread. Xx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

No way are you boring us all - I think I can speak for all of us on here, and thanks for the kind words, wish I could help more :)

Yes, that's just it and why I like this forum so much, we are all learning and Oscar's story may help many more cats; I had a similar experience when reading Antonio's thread on Pallina the hyperthyroid cat; it caused me to realise my Mouse was HT too and be informed enough to get the best treatment for her straightaway - she's a new cat now!

As always, best wishes to you and Oscar, lovely lad, and congrats on the no weeing behind the TV too :D
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

...and finally. Oscar has had his ultrasound at the vets and there are crystals but no stones, so no operation required.

Oscar is now on Royal Canin special food but the vet does not think his condition is serious and should not contribute to his inappropriate peeing...that statement cost me £250.00. My vet also told me that this was the main reason people re-home cats or ask for them to be euthanized, however I signed up to be a cat owner and here I am.

Ironically I thought we had sorted it with the cystophan tablets...but he let himself down on Monday by peeing in the bathroom and behind the TV.

I now have another cat litter tray in the bathroom, I am keeping him on cystophan tablets (just one a day) and starting him on his new diet food. After speaking to the vet...letting him out is too risky as he has no road sense but he has cat trees, the run of the house, scratching posts and toys. This started with his last owners (hence they got rid) when he was 5...so something as triggered it. Frankly my fellow cat lovers...there is nothing more I can do, except clean up when needed.

If your reading this thread due to similar problems...Cystophan tables (I bought them from Amazon) have been the most helpful. I will update on the food situation.

Thank you for all your help xxx
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Aw, bad lad again! Yes, that's the trouble with cats, you have to take the rough with the smooth sometimes - or the wet with the dry ...

I do hope he improves - your love shines through :)

Good luck and a big fuss to Oscar and tell him his Aunty Lil says he's to behave! :D
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Lilith wrote:Aw, bad lad again! Yes, that's the trouble with cats, you have to take the rough with the smooth sometimes - or the wet with the dry ...

I do hope he improves - your love shines through :)

Good luck and a big fuss to Oscar and tell him his Aunty Lil says he's to behave! :D
❤️❤️❤️
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi fingers xd that Oscar does settle and you deserve huge accolades for persevering. Let's hope Oscar soon realises this & that he's a very lucky boy. Keep us posted. Vivian
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Whoop whoop...it’s been 3 weeks since he pee’d in the house, happy days.

My little furry monster is also much more chilled, even though he had an overnight stay at the vet and 3 days in the cattery...he did not get that stressed.We have even been able to go out of an evening and come back pee free!!

Loving my little man, thanks for all your advice xx
Last edited by Red wine lady on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Brilliant! Congrats and fusses to the lovely monster! :D :D :D
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

I second Lilith's comments ... and great Oscar's chilling. Fusses to him. Keep us posted. Vivian