Trouble Setting a Schedule for Cat (14 months)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Hudstar
New Cat Chatter

Trouble Setting a Schedule for Cat (14 months)

Post by Hudstar »

HI all, glad I found this forum. Could use some advice.

I have one young cat and my dilemma is what kind of schedule to give her when it comes to being outdoors and being in.

I don't have - and can't install - a catflap and I work 9-5 and so I leave her inside while I'm out and let her out for about four hours in the evening. This may be just silly 'fretting owner syndrome', but I'm concerned she has zero stimulation (despite toys she doesn't care for anymore) in the house during the day until I return. No owner wants their pet to be depressed or overly bored for eight hours a day. She does however go full hunter mode at night.

So short question then: should I leave her out all day and keep her in in the evening?
Last edited by Hudstar on Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Trouble Setting a Schedule for Cat (14 months)

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

I would say the opposite, myself. But I live in an inner-city area with a lot of traffic, some hostile neighbours catwise, and often loose dogs. My cats used to roam but I would always, but always, have a door or cellar window open for them to return to the house. Nowadays they have an enclosed garden.

I'd say, when in doubt, don't let her out, especially when you can't be on hand. Accidents can happen - one of mine, a streetwise ex-feral, was run over while I was in the doorway and I'm so thankful that I was there and could get her straight to the vet. Imagine if she'd been hurt seriously and had nowhere to go?

So, though I'm possibly biased in this respect, I think you're doing the wise thing by keeping her in during the day and letting her out when you're there. They ARE adaptable and she will adjust to your schedule. I don't think you're silly or fretting at all by the way.

All the very very best with her and hope she stays safe :)
Hudstar
New Cat Chatter

Post by Hudstar »

Thanks Lilith, appreciate the advice.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure she's content to sleep the day away anyway - that's what she does at weekends when I'm around all the time, after all.

It's just that once I've fed her in the morning and when I'm on my way out the door, that's when she seems at her most playful and anxious to be out. I'm in relatively quite suburbs and she seems to stick to the nearby gardens, but you can never be too sure what trouble they'd get in.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Hudstar & welcome. I agree with Lilith. Keep us posted. Vivian
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

One of my youngsters took about a year to learn to use a cat flap, so while the other two could come and go as they pleased I had to be there to open the door to let her in or out. I very quickly made the decision that I would only let her out when I knew that I would be around long enough to make sure she was back in before I had to go anywhere. So, pretty much like yours, she was allowed out when i got back home from work and I would check regularly that she didn't want to come in during the evening. She would normally come when called for supper, if she didn't then I knew I would have to stay up late until she was back in. She knew her name and knew that when I called her it was time to come in and have some food.

I was never entirely happy about shutting her in all day but shutting her out all day was something that I quickly realised wasn't an option.

The only thing I could suggest is if you could get up 10 -15 minutes earlier and have a good play session with her with one of the interactive toys just before you leave the house, if you don't already.
Hudstar
New Cat Chatter

Post by Hudstar »

Thanks Ruth - that's good advice about playing with her in the morning. Lets her get it out of her system somewhat.