Patch of fur not growing back

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
HoboMaster
New Cat Chatter

Patch of fur not growing back

Post by HoboMaster »

Hello, allow me to explain my/cat's situation.
Earlier this year my cat was experiencing pain on her back, just by her head. I took her to the vet, they shaved the area and the skin was damaged somehow, they thought it may have been a chemical burn of some sort... They were not 100% sure, and neither am I. But we got some ointment and medicine for her which was used up. She no longer seems to experience pain in the spot. Problem is, the fur isn't growing back all the way. And she'll lick the area and pull off more fur on/around it, making herself bleed and slowing any healing that might be happening.
The only ways I've been able to stop her from licking it more is either a cone or putting a small t-shirt on to cover the spot.
Are there better ways to keep her from licking this spot? She doesn't react to it like she's in pain anymore, so I'm not worried about that. The area doesn't seem to be hurting her. Maybe it's itchy, or just her instinct to groom it. If I remove the t-shirt she immediately tries to lick the spot. I change her shirt regularly and clean her up myself.
Aside from keeping her from licking this spot, is there anything I can do to help heal the area? Something like polysporin? Has anyone dealt with this before?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Patch of fur not growing back

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome, and very sorry to hear about your cat's injury.

If it is a burn, then it could be that some hair follicles have been destroyed and not all the fur will grow back; also, even a small superficial burn will itch when healing (so of course she licks it and inflames it and starts the vicious circle you're seeing of irritation and never healing.)

There are better alternatives than the cone, such as Comfycollars (try looking on Amazon) but that depends on where the injury is. Have you got a photo you could post? (Guide re posting photos at the top of the forum/board index.) Other people on here could perhaps advise more if they can see the actual injury, but I think it could be a good idea to involve your vet too; they may be able to give you information over the phone about meds but it might be a good idea for them to take a look at her.

I do hope you manage to help her through this, all the very best.
HoboMaster
New Cat Chatter

Post by HoboMaster »

In this picture, the left would be her neckline/head base, and you can see it kind of grows back a little but not completely full. Then at the right is where she licks the most and it is the most raw. She will lick herself immediately if I remove her shirt/cone and it will just get red/bloody. As far as the vet has been concerned, they don't know and only explain it as "weak skin"
Attachments
edit.jpg
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah, poor lass. Thanks for posting as it might be easier for other members to advise. Those red dots look to me so much like flea-aggravated eczema, what is called 'miliary' eczema, but of course this wasn't her diagnosis. However, have you seen fleas on her recently or treated her for fleas?

I wish I could help more but hopefully other people will know more and be able to advise further - again all the very best with her.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I thought an allergic reaction too, Lilith

My Tiffany gets similar patches above her eyes from fish, and the fur doesn't grow back if I continue feeding her fish, although she scratches the area very little