Broadline - Flea/worming treatment help

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
sharonbetty
New Cat Chatter

Broadline - Flea/worming treatment help

Post by sharonbetty »

Hi, my cats have happily had Broadline for years to prevent fleas and worms. Vet told my other half today that it's no longer recommended because fleas have become clever and resistant etc. When I moved to new Vet one of them continued with Broadline, other one had Bravecto but that made the sensitive one ill. Any advice or thoughts please?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Broadline - Flea/worming treatment help

Post by Ruth B »

The Broadline/Frontline issue seems to be a bit divisive among vets at the moment. I tried it earlier this year as one of mine is a hunter and I thought as it dealt with more worms it would be worth moving on to. Three months later i changed back to Stronghold as all the cats were noticeably scratching more, within a week or two of going back to Stronghold the scratching had stopped. When I mentioned it to our vet he said that there did seem to be some indication of fleas developing a resistance to the active ingredient in Broadline and Frontline.

However a month or two later i was with my Mother when she was taking her cat to be checked and vaccinated and as she was due the vet applied the Broadline as well. When I mentioned the possible resistance issue that vet totally denied any possibility of fleas becoming resistant to it.

I live in Wolverhampton and my Mother lives in South Wales so I don't know if it is a localised problem but I have heard others mention it as well.

I have gone back to using Stronghold which while expensive does seem to work well and none of the cats I have had have had a reaction to it. Others on here use other products but I'll let them give their own experience and recommendations. Unfortunately Bravecto isn't one I have come across so i can't comment on it.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

I use Broadline on Tilly as recommended by my Vets down here in Oxfordshire and have not had any flea or worm problems. It does need to be combined with spraying the house with something like "Dechra RIP fleas extra" once a year.
BabyBerlioz
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by BabyBerlioz »

Mine don't go outside but I still treat them, I am just not quite as religious as once a month. I had been using Boradline from the vet for Berlioz but one the second one he had a terrible reaction to it. He was crying and rolling around on the floor trying to scratch where it was so that was the last we did that. He is now having a tablet from the vet Comfortis but it's only for fleas so needs something else for ticks and worms. It's supposed to be tasty and chewy - Berlioz doesn't think so!