Cat Drinking More Water

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Cat Drinking More Water

Post by AndyMac »

My 13 yo has started to drink more water than what she normally does. She is not eating her wet food - she will either sniff it and walk away or eat a few mouthfuls - she still cries looking fed. I have tried so many different varieties and its the same. She will eat her biscuits and I have started to give her more sliced ham and beef which she is eating.

She is currently being treated for fleas and I had her at the vet 2 weeks ago as she was vomiting - the vet checked her over and informed that she seemed fine - she couldnt feel any abnormalities and her temperature was OK. We assumed with the extra grooming she may have a few hairballs - she was given an injection to settle the stomach. 2 days after the visit is when she went of her wet food. If she is starving in the morning she may eat half a pouch of wet food.

I am wondering if another visit to the vet is called for as I read increased water consumption could be a sign of kidney disease or diabetes. Also with eating more biscuits I understand she will consume more water. She has had teeth extracted in the past and wondering if she has more gum disease/gingivitis. She seems fine and is going out as usual and seems alert and not lethargic.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat Drinking More Water

Post by Janey »

Hi, has she had a senior health check including full bloods and thyroid recently? I would get those done if not and another check over. As you say she is more prone to certain things at this age, so best to check those out.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks Janey - the vet did mention her teeth were looking bad so maybe another visit is needed with blood tests.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Good luck with her - it does sound like a check-up's in order. It could be nothing or it could be something that needs to be nipped in the bud ... daunting at first but they bounce back. I have a 15 year old who was diagnosed as hyperthyroid but who is now a new cat after the right treatment, does the heart good to see her :)

All the very very best to you and your girl :)
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks Lilith - I will get an appointment at the vet. She seems in good form - going outside etc but there is just something that I know is not right with her so another visit to the vet is defo called for - just feel so sorry for her when they shave under the neck to get blood.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah I know what you mean - especially at this time of year - they look as if they need a little muffler to wear; it must feel draughty!

All the best, please update but do hope it's nothing :)
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

The earliest appointment I can get is Tuesday morning and unfortunately I have to work every day until then - my neighbour has kindly offered to look in on her on Saturday. She sat this morning over the water bowl drinking every now and then and she ate some sliced roast beef - I tried her with cat food but she sniffed at it and walked away - she seems alert and went out into the garden for a while but just so concerned about her.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

it could well be something going on in her mouth - if she has gum disease it could also affect her gastrointestinal system too, and she would drink more to take away a bad taste - I have also had a cat shy away from wet cat food when she had an infected tooth, though continuing to eat dry food, because I assumed the jelly or gravy stung a little

cross fingers a thorough dental will be all that is necessary
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Good luck. If she does stop eating completely I would treat it as an emergency though, just to be on the safe side. So very sorry to hear, all paws and tails crossed here for her.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks for the advice and concern - she has had 4 teeth extracted in the past. The vet did mention at the last visit 2 weeks ago that her teeth looked bad so hoping it is only the teeth that are the issue. I am concerned about the water drinking but maybe as she is eating biscuits and ham/beef with the saltiness she is thirsty.

I will ask the vet to check the teeth before he takes blood - dont want to distress her too much.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Had Jet at the Vet yesterday concerning her not eating wet food and drinking more water - he gave her a full examination and took blood and gave her a vitamin shot. The vet phoned today and the blood results are showing inconsistencies with her thyroid and possibly liver damage with an increased cholesterol level. I have to take her back on Friday morning for a further blood test to check the thyroid. He reckons there may be a small tumour on the liver but didn't feel any abnormality with the physical check yesterday but wants to rule the thyroid out first before proceeding.

Was reading up on it and it seems to be a common issue with elderly cats and I think you mentioned that also Lilith & Janey.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Good luck and paws crossed for her :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Good luck - I've only had one cat with high cholesterol levels and the vet said it meant nothing
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Got a phone call from the Vet concerning Jets blood test - good news and bad.

Good News - her thyroid is fine / Bad News he is concerned about her liver.

Rather than jump in and take a few teeth out he wants to look at the liver first to rule out any growths etc.....

I have to take her next Tuesday for a liver scan - so hoping all goes well.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh, good luck! (But good news about the thyroid.)

All paws crossed here and Shahi-python is crossing his tail.

Lots of fusses and all the best to her!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed the scan doesn't show anything.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks - he was trying to prepare me for the worst case scenario of having to put her to sleep but hoping that is a last resort and I will try every other avenue of medication before I even consider that.

Jet is eating her wet food again and is in good spirits - still going out and having her mad half hour or running about the house but other days she just wants to sleep so hoping next week will be good news and its just her teeth that are the issue.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Ditto Booktigger's post ... if the vet was overly concerned wouldn't he organise for scan earlier? Just a thought & sending Jet +Ve vibes.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Mayday21 wrote:Ditto Booktigger's post ... if the vet was overly concerned wouldn't he organise for scan earlier? Just a thought & sending Jet +Ve vibes.
The blood test showed a slight increase in liver levels - he is concerned that I just go ahead and remove teeth when the liver is the issue. He did chat about the long term consequences of what a growth on the liver would do and did mention doing a biopsy but we decided on a scan as the first course of action as I really dont want to stress the cat after having blood tests done twice in a week. I am in hospital for a few days and I think there is only one vet at the practice that is qualified to do the scan so Tuesday was agreed. Thanks for the positive vibes and really hoping she does get the all clear next week.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm puzzled by your vets thought of doing a scan on slightly raised liver values, and why he is thinking such worse case scenario if they are only slightly raised. I've had a few cats with high liver values but never done a scan on them. Dodgy teeth can affect liver and kidney values though, so it could be that.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Jet had her abdominal scan done and the results are all good - no signs of anything suspicious in her liver/kidneys/spleen or stomach. The vet showed me the scan results - the scan did show a small part of her liver is not as smooth as the rest of her liver which probably accounted for the increased blood test results - I was informed it may develop into a growth in a few years or may just stay as it is. I was informed the vet could compare the these results with another scan in a few months and at £140 I thought NO.

She was due to get the scan done on Tuesday and when I took her to the vet I had completely forgotten not to fed her the day of the scan and had to take her back home. I had to bring her the next morning and she stayed at the vets all day. The house felt so empty without her. Got Jet home in the evening and she was unsteady on her feet and seemed to huff with me as she sat in the dining room all night and wouldnt look at me - I had to leave her the next day for a hospital appointment in London and my neighbour kindly checked on her and fed her. She has now forgiven me and when I got home late Thursday night she followed me around the house and slept close beside me on the bed - however when put my coat on she runs and hides under the bed.

Now I know its her teeth I think I will let her settle back into her routine before I take her to the Vet. I am due to arrange an appointment on Monday with the vet for this but may hold of for a while as I really do not want to traumatise her - she is eating ok with the occasional bout of sickness but I dont want to put her through the ordeal so soon of another dreaded vet visit.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Andy, that's good news :)

Poor Jet - I know just how you feel about giving her a break from more vet visits. Last January I think it was, my Mouse had to spend the day at the vet's for impacted constipation to be cleared; when I went to collect her an officious new broom young nurse positively harangued me in the waiting room about her having a dental done (I'm not trying to sell you anything') and when I stood firm and said that I wanted her to have a bit of a respite first, he made me feel like a bad owner unwilling to pay for treatment. He isn't typical of my local surgery by the way and I hope I don't encounter him again. Mousey got her dental in due course. After a rest; we neither of us enjoy going out!

Don't blame you for not wanting to pay out for another scan unless it's necessary by the way!

Good luck Jet and please give her a fuss from me :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Glad the scan showed nothing. I know how you feel about visits, I lost count how many we had after Lucy's op, but she has gone from leaving me bruised and bleeding to accepting it, and as it is her teeth, I wouldn't put it off too long, you wouldn't want to live with toothache.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks for the support - yes I will defo get her to the vet and get whatever teeth removed - she has had 4 teeth removed before and the symptons at first led me to believe it may be her teeth but the increased water consumption got me worried in case it was something more serious.

I think the vet was just being cautious with the liver blood test result as he said he didnt want to remove teeth if there was a problem with the liver which he recommended should be looked at first. I am glad I did regardless of the cost as it has put my mind at rest.

I am off work after an operation and have a lot of time to spend with her during the day - if I lay on the bed she is laying on top of me, if I sit downstairs she has to lay on me also but where I had the operation it is a bit uncomfortable but suffer as long as she is happy and content - one spoilt cat.

She is eating wet food but not in the quantities she previously ate but she is also on the dry food with the occasional bit of sliced ham/chicken/turkey or ox tongue.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Got a disturbing phone call from the vet earlier - the one who initially examined Jet and took blood - not the one who did the scan. He is still of the opinion that the scan is showing the beginings of a tumour on the liver with the increased liver enzymes in the blood test and probably IBS as her stomach wall is a lot thicker than most cats.

He said he could do a biopsy of the liver but because of Jets age there is a possibility she may not pull through as it is an aggressive type of procedure. Instead he recommended that tablets could be used but Jet will not take tablets so we decided to inject her with steroids. He said he could give her a 3 month injection but if she does have a reaction then there is no going back so she is to receive a few small steroid injections every other day - I have to take her to the practice on Wednesday and he will show me how to inject her and then I will hopefully inject her - if she responds well to this then she will get the long term one. He is of the opinion the teeth are a secondary issue whereas I was of the opinion she had gotten the all clear with the scan and the teeth were the underlying problem.

She had been sick twice on Saturday night just fluid and not food stuff and she has eaten very little today - she is in good form tho. I am worried now but hoping the steriods will pick her up and will hopefully get the teeth sorted at some point. I am concerned about the cost of this but will discuss this with the vet on Wednesday - I will do everything to keep Jet healthy.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

AndyMac, I'm so very sorry to hear this!

I know nothing about this sort of condition or procedure (though hopefully others on here do) but just want to wish you and Jet good luck and say I hope you both get used to the new regime and that it helps, and isn't as daunting as it must feel at present.

Hope you have a swift recovery too - I felt for you, describing how she sits on your operation wound; 5 years ago I had stomach surgery where they basically unzipped me like a pair of jeans ... a few days out of hospital my youngest cat jumped gaily off the windowsill and crash-landed on my middle ...OWWW! Cats eh?

All the very best to the pair of you and big fusses to Jet.
Last edited by Lilith on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks Lilith - was reading up on steriods for cats and it must be do do with the IBS treatment for Jet - she did have Triaditis a few years back - an inflamation of her internal organs and spent a few days on a drip but she recovered well. The vet today did mention about other internal organs being affected so hopefully the steriod injections will give some benefit to her.

My surgery was urological and today I was laying on the bed and Jet decided she wanted to lay on me and put her back paw in an area I was trying to protect but let my guard down - again ouch - ha ha. Am glad I am off work this week and able to spend some time with her - she usually is distant-ish but the past few days she has been very clingy - always hitting me with her paw looking her ear scrathched and looking to lay on me while purring.

I expected just to get her teeth looked at and she would be OK - but I suppose with her age she is starting to fall ill with serious consequences but I will do whats best for her.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Andy really hoping the steroids are the answer to Jet’s issues. While not going through any ops atm I’m on steroids. Was in agony (had to use tongs to pick up kitty dishes & litter trays were a challenge!) early Aug & my 92yr old aunt told me go to dr as sounds like some form of rheumatica - she was right PMR! Inflammation throughout my body. Dr hoped a one off but no on my 3rd lot of prednisone. And steroids aren’t the best things to be on so hoping Jet’s not on them for ages. Hope you’re recovering & lots of fusses to Jet. Keep us posted. Vivian
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks Mayday - had Jet at the vet today and he give her a small steriod dose injection - I have to inject her every other day for the next 2 weeks. He is still concerned that it may be IBS she has and the increased enzyme in her blood test concerning the liver - he did mention again about the Triaditis. Long term he did mention steriod injections could cause further damage to the liver/kidneys .

She was good today and didnt hiss at the vet - he still sees the teeth as a secondary issue as he said if she is still eating the biscuits then the teeth are not causing her problems but they will hopefully be addressed at some point. I got a few pouches of bland wet food and some bland biscuits - tried her with the pouches and she didnt want to know. The vet asked what wet food she would eat - Gourmet Perle - Whiskas - Felix - etc... he did say that some brands particularly Felix and Whiskas are very rich and may be upsetting her stomach. I was in Lidl yesterday and saw a sliced pork product and tried Jet with that and she loves it - it is quite nice as I tried it myself - Sopocka its called. She was crying looking fed today but again she will not eat any wet food - sniffs it and walks away - the vet said if she is eating the dry food then just let her have that.

Hoping in the next few days the steriods will help - she has not lost any weight from her last visit and is bright and alert so fingers crossed she will eventually regain her appetite.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Mayday21 wrote:Hi Andy really hoping the steroids are the answer to Jet’s issues. While not going through any ops atm I’m on steroids. Was in agony (had to use tongs to pick up kitty dishes & litter trays were a challenge!) early Aug & my 92yr old aunt told me go to dr as sounds like some form of rheumatica - she was right PMR! Inflammation throughout my body. Dr hoped a one off but no on my 3rd lot of prednisone. And steroids aren’t the best things to be on so hoping Jet’s not on them for ages. Hope you’re recovering & lots of fusses to Jet. Keep us posted. Vivian
Can you not take anti inflammatories?