Young cat drinking excessively, vet says it is behavioral?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Redgold
Returning Cat Chatter

Young cat drinking excessively, vet says it is behavioral?

Post by Redgold »

My female cat is 7 years old. About a year ago, I noticed that she was drinking more water. I took her in to the vet who performed basic blood tests - all her results were within normal range and we ruled out diabetes. The vet concluded that she was healthy and that I didn't have anything to worry about.

Fast forward a year and she is now drinking even more water. Drinks throughout th day and night, I refill her water bowl at least once per day. There have been no changes in diet or in her environment. I went back to the vet and after performing two types of blood test and a urinalysis, I've been told that every potential medical issue has been ruled out and that she's a very healthy cat. The only potential explanation is that she is drinking out of habit. I even had another vet in the practice review her records and check her out who concluded the same thing. I hope this is true, but I'm having a tough time accepting this based on my personal research - so I'm wondering if others have experience something similar.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Young cat drinking excessively, vet says it is behavioral?

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. A few thoughts: Are you sure she is 7 years old and couldn’t be older? Does she eat a lot of dry food? I would also ask for the bloods doing again.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

What does she eat? One of the members here had a similar problem, it was a very unusual condition that required a special test, can't remember it's name, will search when I get back
Redgold
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Redgold »

I guess I’m not totally sure of her age, she was a rescue and estimated to be 2 when I adopted her, but I can’t imagine that she would be significantly older. She eats mostly wet food - wellness pate, weruva shredded chicken and a little bit of dry food with dinner (just once per day at most). I would note that I have another cat in the house who is on the same diet and does not drink much.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

What test have been done?
I guess the vet wanted to rule out CKD as well. Did he run a test called SDMA?
Redgold
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Redgold »

Hi - they ran a “total body function SA120” and “I-stat 6+ blood test”. The vets indicated that they ruled out kidney issues, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, infections, cancer, UTI through a combination of the bloods tests and urinalysis...they concluded it was behavioral which I’m questioning since I can’t find any anectdotal evidence of healthy cats drinking so much.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Hi,
The only times that I witnessed, and questioned my vet about, an excessive drinking related to behaviour or not physical conditions was when I used to take my cat to a cattery when I was away for holidays and they would come back afterwards.
The first couple of days at home they would drink way too much compared to their usual.
My vet told me that it was a reaction to the return to their own home/territory.
It happened all the times, until I decided to leave them home when I was away, with a person who would take care of them twice a day.

I've never known if this explanation was true, but it was also the only time when it happened.
Otherwise I never heard of it before.
My only thought would be to seek a second opinion.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Just done a search, the condition was called Diabetes Insipidus, very rare but causes excessive drinking and normal bloods, might be worth looking at
Redgold
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Redgold »

Thanks so much - this is very helpful. Looking at the description, this may be it. I will discuss with vet. If it’s not caused by a brain tumor, then it doesn’t seem like it’s too serious :).
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Redgold wrote:Thanks so much - this is very helpful. Looking at the description, this may be it. I will discuss with vet. If it’s not caused by a brain tumor, then it doesn’t seem like it’s too serious :).
Well, diabetes is a rather serious condition and may impact heavily on your cat's life quality. And yours.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

It's not actually diabetes, Antonio, despite its name. Please let us know what the vet says Redgold
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Sorry, I was misled by the name...
Redgold
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Redgold »

I just wanted to circle back on this. My vet does think that Diabetes Insipidus is a possibility given Goldie's labs and we're going to do a trial with a drug that would treat it. If the treatment is effective (we should know in a few days), that will confirm that diagnosis and we would continue with the treatment to manage the condition. Diabetes Insipidus alone is not dangerous as long as the cat has access to plenty of water, however, it can lead to complications if she gets sick and vomits or has diarrhea. If the trial treatment doesn't work, then Diabetes Insipidus will be ruled out. It's very rare in cats (more common in dogs) hence why my vet did not identify it. The symptoms seem to match the condition pretty well, so I'm hopeful we can diagnose Goldie and treat her. Thank you for your help with this!! I'll keep you posted.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Glad to read that your vet is focusing on this issue. Hopefully the treatment will be effective.
I do hope, also, that the diagnosis is correct. Despite the fact that it could lead to some complications, at least you know what you are dealing with.
If the treatment isn't effective you will be left with no diagnosis again, and this could be worse, in my opinion.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Glad you may have a diagnosis - I will PM the person whose cat had it, and ask if they would post with their experience.