Cat Shut Outside and Crying for Hours

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Fatty Catty
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Cat Shut Outside and Crying for Hours

Post by Fatty Catty »

Not sure if this in the right place!
Looking for some advice as really not sure what to do!!

I've had problems with my nasty neighbour in the past, have called the RSPCA twice about her previous cats (litter after litter and 3week old kittens crawling with fleas etc).

She now has 5 cats, different ages but all under one. The older three (around 9months I think) are being shut out most of the time and she's not too bothered (she seems to prefer little fluffy ones and gets bored after a while). I saw her on Monday and she asked if I knew anyone that wanted a cat as 'getting rid' of four of them. She's keeping the three month old one apparently! Advised her to ring Cats Protection or RSPCA to help.

There are two tabbys, almost identical, one of them has now been outside crying for the last two days. Throwing herself at my window trying to get in and stressing my 11yr old pair!

This morning I phoned RSPCA (wanted to do for the last month but felt I had to as she's quite distressed and obv no one there feeding the others).

I've knocked her door three times today and no answer. I've put a cardboard box out in our shared garden with a blanket in so at least a bit of shelter. Also I know a bad idea but a bit of food.
She's still crying though and breaking my heart!!
I'm not sure what to do, keep thinking I should bring her in as cold and wet outside but know that's an incredibly bad idea!

Can anyone offer any advice please? Know the RSPCA won't be out anytime soon as prob not a priority but just want to make sure she's ok as only young! That cry is horrible :(

Sorry so long, thanks for any replies.
Fatty Catty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Cat Shut Outside and Crying for Hours

Post by Fatty Catty »

Sorry must add, RSPCA said they couldn't really help as cat not underweight/bad condition etc.
Explained there's also a small kitten in the flat that's most likely not being fed as well as three others.

I've seen two of them at the window when knocking so know they've probably gone without food for the last two days shut in her flat. Guess this poor girl been left outside.

Thanks for reading!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi, I'd try the CP.

Has the owner gone away for a while? (Probably thinks if she leaves a bowl or two of biscuits and water that'll be ok.)

I really sympathise here - I've met this type before - as soon as the novelty wears off they get rid, or treat them as a nuisance :evil:

You're in a cleft stick of course, because to feed and shelter this poor little thing will attract it to your door - and he he she's got rid of one ... these people don't realise that a 'cat lover' isn't an open house (I had HAMSTERS offered the other week! :o A few years back, corn snakes ... though I like snakes I just didn't have the room for extra enclosures.)

I'm sorry I can't advise more but hopefully other people might have more advice. If you explain to the CP that this is an ongoing situation and that it may well lead to yet another feral population, that is a good point to make.

And devil take these ****ers who think a kitten is an amusing novelty!

Good luck, please update.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Poor things and poof you having to witness it all.

I agree with Lilith, try Cats Protection or any other rescues in your area to see if they can help. Sometimes the best option if for a cat to 'go missing', if the owners care they will put up posters and ring the local charities, if they don't care it is just another one that is on the books for rehoming, not the best situation for a cat but better than being starved out in the cold. The only problem might be if the cat is microchipped when they would have to get in touch with the owners and see if they wanted them back.

It isn't right that RSPCA have to wait until an animal is suffering before they can step in, they should be able to help 'prevent cruelty' rather than having to wait and then just react to it.

If you want to go further and provide better shelter for her there are several ways of making a shelter for feral cats, normally out of plastic or polystyrene boxes with lids that help provide an insulated, dry environment for a cat even if it isn't actually a warm one. If you did a google search you could probably find a youtube video for how to make one. Of course it would just help encourage it into your garden.
Fatty Catty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Fatty Catty »

Yes definitely feeling a bit stuck! These kind of 'owners' really couldn't care less!

She had a pair of tiny kittens that she let out and both hit by cars at 4months, then replaced by a lovely little girl that had 3/4 litters one after another.
One day knocked and asked if I could look at her as laying on her kitchen floor v unwell! Her kittens shut in a cupboard crawling with fleas and obv not with mum, told her vets the best but knew wouldn't happen so I called RSPCA the same day. Gave her a neutering voucher and at least she did that. But told me she'd sold all the kittens on Facebook, they were 5weeks!! Then the mummy cat disappeared so no idea what happened to her.
Sickens me!

Had a year off but now these poor guys.
If didn't have my girls I'd have brought her in by now but don't fancy the idea of fleas crawling around my house!

Took in a very young and pregnant girly 5ish years ago that was a stray and Cats Protection thankfully took her on, she had feline leukaemia and her and kittens were PTS, broke my heart!! Can't stand the thought of these poor babies being exposed to stuff they shouldn't have to!!
RIP lily bless her x (my cats Rosie and Daisy so stuck to a flower theme!)
Fatty Catty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Fatty Catty »

So sorry Ruth B, had already started rambling!

Very much doubt she's microchipped, am surprised she's not pregnant tbh but maybe learnt from last time!

Fireworks going on behind me for the last hour and think frightened the little lady as not seen or heard her for the last hour. I live in a maisonette so she's next door and we have a shared garden, can see lights on etc.

I have a small guinea pig run outside, used to volunteer at local rabbit and piggy sanctuary so have a pair and occasionally foster piggies) so am wondering if I can adapt that :) Will get searching!

Thanks so much for replies, my animal lover thing kicks in and desperate to bring her to get warm but really a bad idea! Didn't want to put food out but so hard to ignore those cries!!
Fatty Catty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Fatty Catty »

A quick update about poor pussycat.

'Owner' returned I'm guessing last night as didn't see or hear from the cat all evening.
Back crying at my window this morning so I went to knock the door and check before putting yet more food out.

She wasn't a happy lady! Been in hosp since Thursday apparently for pneumonia, she tells me this with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth so not sure if I can believe it! Gave me a gobful saying I was funny with her the other day when asking about people to take her cats etc. Told her the cats been at mine crying for days and was back this am. She said they were going on Friday anyway. Then shut the door in my face!

Was worrying as she's quite a scary lady and keeps some rather scary chav friends so thought better try and diffuse the situation so I don't get any trouble!! An hour later I knocked again and said if any trouble in future I could always take her spare key and feed them (as there is obv no one feeding them as she'd told me before). She then says Cats Protection are taking two of them. So there will obv be three remaining!

Cat still crying outside (thinking grass may be greener at mine, nicer food than she gets at home!). I've called RSPCA and updated them.

So worrying I may get some trouble from the angry lady now, especially if RSPCA turn up! Couldn't stand the thought of the poor beasts with no food and water so had to try and get something done!! And at least hopefully two will be looked after properly. Just three for me to keep an eye on rather than five!!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I can see what a worrying situation this is for you - have you asked RSPCA to knock first at your door - if they come, which is doubtful

have you been in contact with Cats Protection? like the RSPCA some branches will help more than others, but they will be more concerned about welfare, and preventing more kittens, than the RSPCA
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hmm ... you get people like this. THEY can be funny with you, but you've got to be all smiles with THEM, otherwise fireworks. They're a pest. It's just a ploy - the 'attack is the best form of defence' trick. I once had a neighbour whose kitten I found screaming alone so I took him into my house until she turned up again - only to be yelled at that I was 'strange' and 'weird'. When she moved she wanted to offload him on to me but I couldn't take him as my youngest cat hated him. Later I heard her bawling abuse at her 'friend' down the row because she wouldn't take him either ...

As they say, there's always one, isn't there ... I do hope that cat was all right though.

I confess I used to smoke quite heavily myself (gave up one day when I realised how it stunk out the house.) But the local hospital has a balcony regularly crowded with people in the jimjams and dressing-gowns, hooked up to drips, puffing away, and if you have the misfortune to visit A&E you'll be accosted by all and sundry glaring at you while they demand fags or a light. Thank heavens I was never as addicted as that!

But enough of that. I think it might be a good idea to ring your local CP as they're clearly alerted to the case and, with more info from you, might decide to take more action, I really hope so. Wretched woman, why can't she take up collecting handbags or something? Grrrr! :evil:

Again, you've got all my sympathy!

Good luck and all the best :)

Hi Kay - we overlapped! :)
Fatty Catty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Fatty Catty »

Thanks a lot for replies, think my sister starting to get a bit sick of me moaning about her and talking about these poor cats!

Yes think I might have to call Cats Protection. Just to let them know about the situation and hope they can maybe persuade her to rehome the rest! I'm definitely not going to get anywhere with her!

Am a smoker too. Just can't imagine if I had pneumonia and was away for days not sorting friends or family to at least pop in and give food and water!! Especially if at least one of my cats was my shut outside! But me and this lady are obviously v different!

Will update if anything changes!

Thanks again
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh you're not the only one, believe me, who gets latched on to and taken advantage of.

I must point out to anyone reading this, I can understand having to rehome an animal through illness or other disaster (I had to part with most of my snakes two years ago; a rescue kindly took them and their equipment and a donation as I was unable to handle selling them/vetting homes; some were quite unusual and they were all in good condition and rehomable; I still grieve for them all.) So I hope I'm not being a hypocrite in being angry with the people who take an animal on for a whim, or a living toy, and discard it when they get tired of the responsibility/training/animal, like this ... I wouldn't call her a 'lady' lol ... another 4 letter word springs to mind instead (shurrup Lil!) :oops:

Yes, as Kay says, the CP are more neutering oriented, and very often they are forced to 'neuter and return to site', which is how I got two of mine - not that I'd have parted from them. Kittens are more homable. They took two litters from the same feral community. But with this clutch of kitties, if they're all younger than a year, perhaps they might be in with a chance - especially as the kitten season is over and there are still enquiries for kittens. I do hope so. The episode of 'home alone'/shut out while the woman was in hospital ought to carry weight for a start :evil:

Again good luck :)
Fatty Catty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Fatty Catty »

Yes there are quite a few four letter words I can think of too!!
Cats seem to be disposable properly most definitely.

I took in a pair of giant African land snails a few years back. After a goldfish a few years before. Really didn't have space for the snails and their tank, my two cats, a tropical tank I've had 8 years as well as the goldfish and my pair of g pigs!! So unfortunately had to rehome them, were v cool beasties but had to think practically! Seem to get asked a lot! Have had to turn down rabbits and some chipmunks in the past and of course cats and kittens!! Always try and give them numbers to call and feel terrible but sometimes have to think of my sanity! So understand as well!

Have called CP to give them some info, a trained rehome person will be calling me at some point to find out a bit more on the situation. Hopefully will get the cats what they need!!

Thanks a lot for all the help and info :)
Fatty Catty
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Fatty Catty »

Hi, posted months ago and thought an update was in order!

Thankfully four out of the five cats were rehomed thanks to brilliant CP.
She chose to keep the kitten :(

I was informed by the nasty neighbour a few weeks ago that someone across the road had taken on the kitten as she didn't have time for her(!), they had a five year old son that loved it.

Then in the next breath told she had to be put to sleep due to cat flu.

In other words was probably already ill and fobbed off on someone as she couldn't be bothered with vets or something! Obv not vaccinated!! Very upsetting to hear.

Some people really don't deserve pets!! Disgusting woman!