Royal canin meat content

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Wizzyluna
New Cat Chatter

Royal canin meat content

Post by Wizzyluna »

Can I ask does anyone actually know the actual meat content of RC wet cat food?
Also why does it get recommend so often?

Basically I keep seeing people say it is a high meat content brand, but how do people know this? Or are they assuming because the vets recommend it

I did some research today and found brands in the pet shop that have high meat content and have similar nutrition numbers. So am I better off buying this brand? As it is half the price of RC

For all I know the meat content in Royal Canin could be the same as whiskas
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Royal canin meat content

Post by booktigger »

I'm not sure about normal RC, renal wet is about 6% I think, I've found a cheaper German brand that has a higher meat content. RC is palatable, but would only use their veterinary diet side, although I am using RC Calm on the fosters
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Red wine lady »

My kitty has just been put on Royal Canin Urinary and it definitely looks meatier than Whiskas....however I've just looked it up and Whiskas has 8% protein and the Urinary has 7% but the normal RC has 12%. Does not sound like a lot either way. Moisture is at 80% in all of them. Whiskas has 100g and RC has 85g.

Is there a thread on wet food? It would be interesting to compare production?

The RC diet I'm using states that the cat should be on it for 6 months, but my vet said lifetime (he thought I was going to buy it from him!!). So I was hoping for an alternative as £10.00 for 12 packs gets very expensive (vet charged £15.00!!!!).

Sorry, I've gone off on a tangent again x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah. Try Zooplus, Viovet or Amazon - others may have more suggestions. I always shop around online - even if it's POM meds they can often work out cheaper than the vet, who will generally supply the script so that you can buy elsewhere ;)
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Most animals are mainly water, so its no surprise that wet cat food contains up to 80% moisture. :D
Looking at my reserve packets of Royal Canin (kept for days when Tilly is in one of her I don't want to eat that! moods), it is not entirely specific about how much is meat, but says crude protein is 11.8%. For comparison, Thrive which claims to be 75% chicken has a crude protein content of 16%, but still has 80% moisture (one reason I feed Tilly Thrive and not Royal Canin even though it is more expensive - she gets as much protein for my £'s from Thrive as she would from Royal Canin).
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

The cheaper brand I hinted at does do urinary, £6.99 for 12 rather than £8.99 for RC, brand is Kattovit from zooplus and they do a urinary trial kit. Not sure about urinary, but the renal comes in 3 flavours and you can buy 6 as well as 12, plus tins of pate. She isn't keen on the beaphor though
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

booktigger wrote:The cheaper brand I hinted at does do urinary, £6.99 for 12 rather than £8.99 for RC, brand is Kattovit from zooplus and they do a urinary trial kit. Not sure about urinary, but the renal comes in 3 flavours and you can buy 6 as well as 12, plus tins of pate. She isn't keen on the beaphor though
I've just ordered another 48 of RC....but I will try your suggestion, next order. The vet gave him the renal food at first as he said they do not do a wet in the urinary (which is incorrect), Oscar loved the renal one. However he is NOT over keen on the dry. Zooplus is a fab site.