Manuka Honey Warning

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Manuka Honey Warning

Post by booktigger »

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Manuka Honey Warning

Post by Lilith »

Oh that's awful :(

But it wasn't the honey; it was the owner's refusal to get veterinary treatment. I've used hypercal tincture on a surgical incision that started to become necrotic (ugh) back in the 80s, but in conjunction with vet treatment, and this was very successful in helping to keep the wound clean. I've also used homeopathic cantharis as a first aid treatment for cystitis while the animal's waiting to go to the vet, and it's relieved symptoms until the visit.

I'm not an alternative 'freak' mind you, I'd definitely agree, vet first, discuss any alternative meds with the vet. They're usually very open-minded, I've found.

Poor Blackie ... :(
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Lilith wrote: I'd definitely agree, vet first, discuss any alternative meds with the vet. They're usually very open-minded, I've found.
Yes, that's what this owner failed to do.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

All honey has a certain amount of antibacterial quality with Manuka Honey being higher than normal, it's one of the reasons that honey and lemon can be quite good for sore throats.

However like others have said, the lack of veterinary care that was the real problem in this case, and I find it a shame that the honey got the headline when the neglect was the issue.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Yes, the honey wasn't the main issue, I posted it to show that sometimes offering alternative treatments may result in people bypassing the vet
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I tried to post on this earlier but it went awol :? I agree with you Ruth but not ALL honey is created equal. Most supermarket honey is just liquid sugar with anything beneficial filtered or pasteurized out of it. Even Manuka honey comes in different strengths.

Raw (unpasteurized) honey has been used for Millennia to treat all sorts of problems, but I have never heard of it as a cure for cancer, an antibacterial treatment for sores/ulcers yes.

Booktigger - that's the media for you - blame the 'quack' treatment, not the numpty using it. Our vet uses honey for certain skin conditions.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

I got some of this to keep in the first aid kit, haven't used it yet ( and hope not to) but looks like a handy product :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

But - if in any doubt - vet.