Odd behaviour....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Evil Monkey
New Cat Chatter

Odd behaviour....

Post by Evil Monkey »

Hello and I have just joined this forum as I have 2 young cats (both about 1 year old now) - Poppy (queen) and Ozzy (tom)
The problem I have is with Ozzy... Since around about the time of neutering (not sure if the behaviour started before or after) he started getting an odd habit. He loves getting affection (he always has) and enjoys a nice lap (on his terms). Now when you smooth him and have him on your lap (or next to you) he starts purring and then the first thing he will do (I apologise now for this next but :oops: ) he starts licking his gentitals... now this seems sort of normal for a cat but then he makes a sort of sucking noise ( :oops: ).... When this first starts you try to ignore it - but after 15 minutes you have to take him back off your lap.
Now I have mentioned this to friends and they have asked if this could be because of an UTI - but he ONLY does this behaviour when he is getting fussed - so not sure if this is the answer...
Any other people had anything like this or could suggest a way stopping my dirty little boy :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Odd behaviour....

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome :)

Well, you've got a right one there by the sound! :D

But I wouldn't call him 'dirty'. He's obviously sexually turned on, and, being a cat, he's just enjoying the urge. I've seen some odd sexual behaviour from neuters, including a boy who got an erection and started to hump my hair :o And a very dominant Siamese spayed girl who mounted a younger breeding queen when she was calling. To say nothing of my youngest cat, a spayed female, who used to hump any used garment of mine on the bed. :lol:

I don't think you can prevent a cat from being an animal ... if you're embarrassed, or have company who'd be embarrassed, just lift him off your lap before he goes into his routine (but tell him what a good boy he is, perhaps distract him with a treat and a fuss.)

Hopefully he'll grow out of it; good luck :D