Literary analysis Poe "Black Cat"

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Curiouscat
New Cat Chatter

Literary analysis Poe "Black Cat"

Post by Curiouscat »

Hi.. this may seem like an odd question, but idk where to find any information on this.

If a cat was walled up with a fresh human corpse for four days would it still be living when the wall is opened up? This is a question plaguing my class. Could the cat survive on the corpse alone? Would the corpse provide the hydration the cat needs?

Thank you for your time!
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Literary analysis Poe "Black Cat"

Post by Lilith »

Ugh, Edgar Allan Poe (shudders)

I think the cat would survive. I once read an account of a cat mistakenly left in a house (his owner had died) without food or water for weeks; he was very very weak but was nursed back to health. (He may of course have been able to lick taps.) I have first hand experience of a human who couldn't eat for over a month (although they did drink they kept throwing up) and they too survived.

It would depend, too, on whether the cat was emboldened to start chewing on the corpse - I think some cats would, some might not, although a 19th century cat would probably be more primitive in this respect than a modern house cat accustomed to food out of pouches etc, nicely served in bowls.

So, I reckon that the cat would live, though it might be weak and dehydrated and would need fresh water pdq.

Air supply's another matter - the corpse wouldn't be taking any oxygen but it might be smelling after four days and if there was no ventilation the air might be foul ... another thing for your class to consider :)

Hope other members have more info but hope this helps for now - and hope your class don't have nightmares!