My outside cat has blueish dilated pupils; please help!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
MICHA3LK
New Cat Chatter

My outside cat has blueish dilated pupils; please help!

Post by MICHA3LK »

My 5 year old "outside" cat all of a sudden (past two days) is acting different and his pupils are somewhat dilated and blueish instead of normal black. He was neutered about a year ago and has had his shots. This has to mean something because he is just acting different and his eyes look different. Has anyone experienced this or does anyone know that this is a symptom of something specific? Blueish or purplish looking pupils?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

--MICHA3LK
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My outside cat has blueish dilated pupils; please help!

Post by Kay »

I have no direct knowledge but have a look at this article http://www.thedailycat.com/health/illne ... index.html

which mentions a couple of eye conditions where there is an abnormal blue tinge
MICHA3LK
New Cat Chatter

Post by MICHA3LK »

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately that article only mentions pupil size changes. I've found numerous references (Dr. Google) on pupil dilation and color changes in the iris but nothing on blue/indigo/purple pupil instead of normal black. I know it means something so I'll keep looking. If his condition continues he'll be visiting the vet!

Thanks!
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

I don't know anything about eye conditions, but I suggest you observe him and decide whether he can see properly or not. That would be something useful to tell the vet if you have to take him. Good luck.
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Hello MICHA3LK, have you noticed if your cat is able to see? Does it seem as he walks straight only because he knows the place? What is he encounters an unexpected object?
Dilated pupils might be symptom of a blindness. The change of the pupil colour could be an alteration of the liquid inside the eye bulb, an infection, I think.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd get him checked by a vet