Behavior change

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
simon+delilah
Frequent Cat Chatter

Behavior change

Post by simon+delilah »

I adopted a homeless deaf cat almost a year ago to the day. In the time I have had her progress has been slow, but it has all been positive, and at her own pace.

She has always been a bit skittish, and whilst that has improved over time, I am noticing a fairly sudden change in her behaviour in the past week or so.

So I would be stroking her and out the blue she will go for me with claws, or a hiss.

I am pretty certain this is not anything physical with her, but will be taking her to see the vets at some point to get her ears looked at. in the meantime anyone have any suggestions?
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Behavior change

Post by Lilith »

Hi, I too have a deaf elderly cat (the deafness has come on with age) and for a good while she developed that feline dementia habit of yowling for no apparent reason; this can also be a symptom of deafness. Then she quietened down, but now she's started again, poor lass, and I'm inclined to think that maybe her deafness has worsened and that the yowling's a symptom of her adapting to it and will calm down in time (she's in good condition otherwise - fighting fit for 16!)

I wonder if your girl's going through a similar transition? Also my Emily, when yowling, simply doesn't seem to know where she is and needs me to touch and talk to her, though I don't know what she can hear; if Delilah's in a similar state when she claws and hisses, I wonder if she's startled and reacts aggressively for a moment? What happens afterwards? Does she get up and leave you or does she calm down and let herself go on being stroked?

It's such a pity we can't ask them how they're feeling!

Good luck with her :)
simon+delilah
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by simon+delilah »

Thanks for the reply Lilith. I get the occasional yowling from Delilah too, which is interesting to hear from you as it seems maybe the deafness and yowling are somehow linked.

I don't think it is to do with being startled, as I always make my presence known before going into see her because of her lack of hearing. When she has gone for me it has been in the middle of being stroked. After doing this she does not go anywhere, though I have made a point of being the one to leave as i don't want here thinking what she has done is OK.

just after I wrote my post about this she did it again, only this time I gave her my best angry face and pointed my finger at her, she tilted her head back and if I am honest looked a little shocked! I then walked away back to my computer and ignored her for about 30 minutes and (touch wood) she has not done it again since!! :shock: It made me feel bad but I figure that would be no different than shouting at a cat with full hearing. :)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hey Simon, that's great - I've been thinking maybe I should have added that I do the same thing with my youngest cat who swipes and bites if my strokes aren't exactly to her liking - I tell her 'no' in a hissy low voice (she can hear) and withdraw my hand. I think I was thinking like you that it might be unfair to do this to an older disabled cat, but perhaps a bit of firmness is just what Delilah needed. I tell my Emily (deaf cat) off if she nags at me and gets under my feet when I'm busy (not that that makes much difference lol!)

I'm glad to say Emily's yowling has subsided too.

Congrats and fusses to Delilah and hope she goes on minding her manners now :)