Quandry W/2 Year Old and a Struggling/Older Cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
MissBlackCat
Returning Cat Chatter

Quandry W/2 Year Old and a Struggling/Older Cat

Post by MissBlackCat »

I do not own the cat. I am staying for an undetermined amount of time. I'm a cat lady, I have rescued and rehomed cats. I left my family's house a year ago when 2 year old moved in as a 1 year old, and the 4 year old was a 3 year old. Kitty is 12 now. When I came back to stay a month ago, kitty had severely lost weight, and was hiding out in strange places for days at a time. She only came out to see me. Owner was frustrated cat wouldn't go into her bedroom anylonger either.
Kids have mostly the run of the house. But I was put in 3rd grandchild's room when she visits from another state(now is 7 year old) she rarely gets to visit.

Kitty was found to have heart failure. Vet told owner to keep cat away from stress, meds for hear given. Once kitty came into my bedroom to stay, it well, STAYED, took up residence. And I became Cat Nurse, and med giver for the time being. Everytime I try to reintroduce cat to house, she flees back to bedroom.

Sibling(owner) now said, "I am making kitty neurotic! Force it to be out of te bedroom(in terror of years old?). I think it would be best to go to Vet with kitty and tell vet kitty freaked out last night after 2 year old got too excited over Santa visit and came into bedroom to show me toys and photo with Santa. 2 Year old tends to come to top of stairs right outside bedroom and screams and yells for family or has fits often. Cat is now upset and wants to watch bedroom door instead of sleep at night. I am glad I got kitty to relax and trust and go to sleep on pillow near door so she had clear view of door if anyone comes to it and randomly opens it.

Sigh, this is all confusing. I have a Psych degree, and I'm only so trained in being able to keep calming kitty down after unwelcome 2 year old visits. I hope vet will explain this situation more to owner if I show up and talk about it tomorrow.
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Quandry W/2 Year Old and a Struggling/Older Cat

Post by MarySkater »

I'm no expert, but it seems plain that an oldish, unwell cat is not going to cope with the noise and fast movements of young children. If the owner insists on "forcing" the cat out of the one place she feels sort of safe, I would not be at all surprised if the stress killed the cat, and that would be a miserable way to die. If the owner cares anything for the cat, Kitty should be allowed one safe room where the children are NEVER to go.

Yes, if you explain what you've seen to the vet, maybe the vet can convince the owner.
MissBlackCat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by MissBlackCat »

Kitty is still allowed to be in the bedroom most of the time.
She had a strange reaction after going to the vet.
She peed in the cat carrier. I cleaned the pillow. But when I returned it to her to sleep on she refused to slee on it all night the first night. Instead she tried to stay in the window.
I thought she was mesmerized by the christmas lights. Nope, she freaked out again and I had washed just the pillow case.
I took it back off and ta-da she would sleep easily on the pillow again.
I think she is very sensitive to her own phermones. THe rest of the house smells like old dog and young kids. No wonder why she won't go into the bedroom of the owner, the old dog sleeps there 23 hrs a day.
MissBlackCat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by MissBlackCat »

This situation isn't tha bad now. Kitty comes and goes at will and stays still most of the time.
I think 4 year old may have pulled her tail so the kids can be mean. Cat is stronger and I think must have gained a little weight. I runs around here and there and seems energetic.