Bella wont eat wet food.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Bella wont eat wet food.

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I am at a loss as to what to feed Bella, when we first had her (1st October) she loved Felix AGAIL, then went off that, so I bought sheba pouches, she loved those but after a few weeks she went off those, I bought her Applaws, she loved those but, yes, you guest it, she has now gone off that, I have tried going back to Felix but she wont touch that, I feed her Canagan dry food aswell, so I am thinking to stop feeding wet, (of any sort) & just give her dry food, what do you think about that?
She only has a small amount of dry at the moment, her dish is about 3.5/4 inches across & I just cover the bottom, she had 1 tin of 70g wet food morning & night for wet & dry.

Marg.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Bella wont eat wet food.

Post by Kay »

if she eats the jelly or gravy off the Sheba and Felix, but leaves the meaty bits, she might well like the pate foods, Gourmet Gold being the main one - Zooplus stock a wider variety than can be found in the UK supermarkets

my two are lump leavers but I never have to throw away any pate

I also feed dry, more because it keeps the cost down and should either need a veterinary food later on there seems to be more choice in the dry ranges, and also more cats seem willing to eat the prescribed dry
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

Are her teeth causing her problems again?

You could chop up/mash the lumpy bits so that they are finer. I use to do that to encourage my older cat to eat. Is she eating the dry food okay?
I mix wet and dry together as mine prefers dry but I want him to have more water intake as I'm scared he'll get a UTI.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I think her teeth are fine, the rescue centre did clean her teeth when she had some out, but I have thought of that & I might take her to the vet for a check up in the New Year, she does eat dry food but I think it goes straight down & doesn't get chewed. I gave her Gourmet pate last night & she seemed to enjoy it..........but I do wonder for how long.

Marg.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I cook for mine - I buy the Durham Animal Feed complete minces, and feed them raw or gently simmered to make gravy and jelly, with a pinch of extra taurine to be safe when it is cooked. I cook vegetables for the dogs, and give the cats some of the broth from that, too. Mixing and rotating meats (chicken, lamb, beef, rabbit) seems to get around their need for variety, and I ring the changes with oily fish when I can persuade them to eat it! Batch cooking and freezing means I can feed all four animals a top quality diet at a fraction of the cost of the little trays.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I used to raw feed my German Shepherd, she loved it, that was my intension when I got Bella, but it seems to be a lot more difficult for cats, when I first had Bella, she ate anything I put in front of her, but as time has gone on she has found her feet & got very choosy, a "cat " thing I think.

Marg.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ha. My lot are just the same. So I buy something new and stick the old stuff on one side to fight another day ... as it does ... eventually ...

My front room, to say nothing of the stairs, looks like a storeroom for pets at home ...

Cats! :lol:
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

Being a cat owner is the most difficult job in the world, brain surgery must be a doddle compared to being cat slave!

I found Oscar likes the Gourmet range at the moment (this could change within the hour). He is not a big lover of meat varieties, he is more a fish sort of cat. I tend to chuck in a meat dish a couple of times of week to mix it up. I also add water to each meal as a) it gets liquid into him and b) it makes the meat / fish easier for him to eat...he does not like his food to be dry (I’ve created monster).

I gave £70 of special food to our local cat welfare because of Mr Oscar and his fussy ways.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

I gave £70 of special food to our local cat welfare because of Mr Oscar and his fussy ways.
Glad I'm not the only one - local cat rescue does pretty well out of Tilly as well!
On the subject of dry food, my Badger cat would only ever eat a few mouthfuls of wet food and leave the rest to Tilly. I gave up trying to persuade him to eat wet food in the end and just fed him dry.
Red wine lady
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Red wine lady »

alanc wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one - local cat rescue does pretty well out of Tilly as well!
On the subject of dry food, my Badger cat would only ever eat a few mouthfuls of wet food and leave the rest to Tilly. I gave up trying to persuade him to eat wet food in the end and just fed him dry.
We are saints ! Xx
HarryAzhar

Post by HarryAzhar »

There are some renowned best cat foods available like Purina Pro Plan Wet Cat Foods or Rachael Ray Nutrish Natural Wet Cat Food which cats never want to leave. They have ingredients like tuna and chicken baby food. Hand feeding or petting cats when they show interest in food encourages some individuals to eat. If none of these ideas gets your cat eating again, it's time to make an appointment with your veterinarian.
Last edited by HarryAzhar on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

I had a cat (feral who moved in with me who I neutered) who would only eat biscuits. Although I used to buy cooked chicken chunks - he'd scoff those. But never, ever any tinned or pouch food. And he was thin and hungry to start off with; you'd have thought he'd have been glad of anything. He grew into a huge, magnificent beast despite his food fads. :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I had a Russian Blue who refused to eat, or even taste, anything other than Iams Chicken biscuits